Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#277401 04/19/08 05:46 PM
dolphin Offline OP
OP Offline
Dr. Wil Lala accepted the challenge of being the Chairman of the Chamber's committee to provide trash bins throughout the island. Dr. Lala has met with the Town to approve the type of receptacle, and has begun the building process.

Tom Vidrine reported that 42 trash bins at $150 each have already been ordered through the Chamber. If any resorts, other businesses, or individuals would like to provide a bin either on the road or beach in front of their location, to please place your order quickly as these will go fast.

Dr. Lala also asked that anyone willing to help construct at any time, just call him at 226-2716 or email him at [email protected]

Anyone wanting to donate a bin to any group, school, church, or a specific area, please let the Chamber know as soon as possible. Email: [email protected]

from the Chamber of Commerce...
Dr. Wil Lala is back, and the trash barrel project is going forward. Dr. Lala reported he has contacted Bowen & Bowen to acquire more barrels, and will be building bins for the next 50 barrels. The Chamber is furnishing the Costa Maya Festival with 10 bins for the event. Most of the purchased bins have been picked up, and Tom will be notifying the remaining buyers as soon as more barrels become available.

Updated at second meeting: Dr. Lala spoke to Barry Bowen to try and work out getting some more barrels. Dr. Lala reported he planned to have 10 more finished, and will be using them during the Costa Maya. Those barrels will be available to be picked up sometime next week.

Marty #292691 08/10/08 09:55 PM
B
B
I commend the civic minded folks who are dotting the landscape with the new trash bins.
I suggest that, prior to selling these monsters, that the "Chamber" inquire as to whom will be maintaining them--as in emptying them.
There are a few of these things in our neighborhood and they have become stinking household trash maggot infested monuments.
They are in areas that previously had little or no litter. It is time the "Chamber" started to follow up on their brilliant ideas.

B on the B
That has been done prior to placing them. Everyplace, except north of the bridge, are serviced like all other garbage cans.
The North Ambergris Caye Neighborhood Watch has place ones in strategic locations and we are paying to have them emptied. Unfortunately some folks have been using them to dump their household trash instead of taking it across the bridge themselves. We are addressing this issue also.
There appears to be some attempts at proper disposal of trash along the beach and road - even when some on it only gets close to the can. LOL It's a start in the right direction

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
dolphin Offline OP
OP Offline
Next step in completing the Trash Bins,,,from Dr. Lala:

If you or your employees have any spare time please come to Dr. Lala's home next to Caribbean Villas Hotel and help build the last 47 bins to help keep San Pedro a cleaner place to live. I will be working everyday from 8 to 5 with an hour off for lunch. You can call 226-2716 or better email [email protected] as I will probably not be able to hear the phone.
For those of you that have already paid Tom for the trash bins we have 19 ready to be picked up. Wil

On the comments of the Chamber "maintaining" or "following through", I am not sure what else can be expected of us. We have built and provided them at a low cost. Other than that, I cannot imagine being expected to empty them, or even refuse selling one to anyone civic-minded enough to buy one. We are not in the "policing" business, and can only help provide the tools for people willing to make the effort. We have to depend on the Town following through with their commitment, and others doing the same.
Why does it seem that someone always looks for the dark side of anyone trying to help? I do notice it is always people that didn't contribute, and never do.

C
C
We sat on the beach Sun. evening and watched dogs jumping up on top of the trash bins and pulling the trash onto the beach leaving food containers all over. Also watched the business located there dump their bar trash in it. They were overflowing and it was more of a mess than I have ever seen there. I know the intent was good but there does seem to be a bigger problem now.

Yes, frustrating and depressing isn't it? Crap we have to deal with everyday.

The project is sound, the enforcement of other rules, and basic common courtesy one would expect from business owners simply don't apply here very often.

If we get rid of the strays - people are up in arms.

If we ask the business owner to own and maintain his own garbage receptacles - people are up in arms.

If we ask folks to pitch in and pay a little for garbabge pick - so that we can have more runs and keep the town cleaner, faster - people are up in arms.

It's enough to drive you to drink!

BUT - Dr Lala's project is a good idea and it is a sound idea and with support, of all concerned - the people that live here, the people that visit here, the town council, the dog catchers etc. we will continue to endeavor to clean this town up and make it a pleasant place to be.

P
P
A more pleasant place to be. I happen to love it here. So many people work very hard to continue the improvements in a culturally sensitive way.The garbage project is a great example of this. There are many others: SAGA, neighborhood watches, calendar girls, SPBA, ......... There are many others.

C
C
On Caye Caulker they ended up attaching lids to the trash cans on the streets so household trash and dogs couldn't get into it. It really made a difference.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 335 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.