Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#292796 - 08/12/08 06:00 AM restaurant on ac
Pedro1 Offline
just eaten at a restaurant that advertised cheap beer on Mondays-we get there a party of 20 which was prebooked-they had not got their beer order so had very few beers (they did send out for some after many complaints-good)-the food was served to our party from 7.30 pm to 9.10 pm-I called for my bill at 9.35 -received it at 10.00pm-expensive food -cheap warm beer -I complained to the owner twice-they agreed they had under trained and insufficient staff-the billing problem was they did not have a pos system-there were 12 other paying guests on three other tables
I was told that when the owners had been in my bar the beer was too cold (I consider this a compliment)and I expect far too much and should not eat out-
Personally I say if you live by the sword you die by it-if you open a restaurant and take a booking for 20 you should be able to provide their meals at the same time and if you cannot provide cold beer close it until you can-or advertise the fact we only serve luke warm beer
the last thing the bar tender was pissed I only tipped him around 4% and told me so-I believe you tip for good service and good drinks am normally ambivalent about food

#292801 - 08/12/08 11:18 AM Re: restaurant on ac [Re: Pedro1]
Laguna Punta Offline
Warm beer...just like in england.

#292803 - 08/12/08 12:41 PM Re: restaurant on ac [Re: Laguna Punta]
bywarren Offline
What I want to know is, where did you find 20 people willing to go out and eat with you? laugh

Any you see Bill, even Englishmen like Pedro learn from being around Americans. Things like beer is better cold. I have even taught him that proper baked beans are not just a can of Heinz beans warmed up on the stove.

Edited by bywarren (08/12/08 01:06 PM)

#292804 - 08/12/08 01:16 PM Re: restaurant on ac [Re: bywarren]
collyk Offline
I suspect this is a cultural misunderstanding. When people from the USA go to England and don't read their guide books about some of the language differences, they order beer in a pub. They receive real ale, which is correctly served at cellar temperature and no colder. If you want a 'beer' like they are served in the USA, you ask for lager. All decent pubs sell lager cold and many pubs chill their glasses.

What disturbs me is that a few bars in San Pedro (no names mentioned) keep their red wine in the fridge, which is quite honestly disgusting.

Sadly, both pubs and real ale are rapidly disappearing in the UK. In ten years time, a pub will probably be only be found in a British theme park.

#292806 - 08/12/08 01:27 PM Re: restaurant on ac [Re: collyk]
bywarren Offline
And, Pedro's is known for Italian food and German liquor.

Also, not to be arguementive with another English person. But, red wine is to be stored at 55 degrees and drunk at 65 degrees for best enjoyment. "Room temperature" is not 85 degrees when it comes to drinking red wine.

http://www.bettertastingwine.com/temperature.html

#292807 - 08/12/08 01:36 PM Re: restaurant on ac [Re: bywarren]
collyk Offline
Agreed bywarren. But the correct temperature for a fridge should be 37 degrees. Red wine can be refrigerated but it should be brought back up to the correct temperature before being served.

#292809 - 08/12/08 01:53 PM Re: restaurant on ac [Re: collyk]
Nova Offline
My rule of thumb is to chill white wine in the fridge and take it out and let it sit for 15 minutes. For red wine I keep it at room temp then stick it in the fridge for 15 minutes before serving. Perfect temps every time.

#292811 - 08/12/08 01:59 PM Re: restaurant on ac [Re: Nova]
Ernie B Offline
I just unscrew the cap and drink it.

#292812 - 08/12/08 02:01 PM Re: restaurant on ac [Re: collyk]
Laguna Punta Offline
...the best thing about England is if yah get drunk and drive on the left side of the street...it perfectly acceptable.

#292813 - 08/12/08 02:01 PM Re: restaurant on ac [Re: Nova]
SimonB Offline
Many people put ice in their red wine it's all a matter of taste.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,029 Topics
462,231 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.