Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#294197 - 08/21/08 10:13 PM Protech lost a boat today
Peter Jones Offline
Protech in San Pedro - boat problem
In the spirit of openness let me say here that Protech lost a 28ft boat this morning. The two guests who were diving with us had been transferred to another boat and were unharmed, but whilst trying to tow the boat back the line broke at the worst possible moment (entering the barrier reef) and a following wave swamped and overturned us. The two Protech crew were unharmed, other than the odd bruise. Sadly gear was lost belonging both to us and to our guests. Our guests will of course be compensated.

The boat began taking on water whilst divers were down and the bilge pumps were overwhelmed. It sank in around 30ft of water, but was recovered within a few hours. An initial examination suggests that a crack developed in the engine mount, allowing water to pour in.

The boat will be out of action for at least a few days, and will not be used until it has been inspected and pronounced safe. Protech has suspended its operations in the meantime.

Our apologies to our two "victims" and to others who have booked diving with us during the "down" period. And our thanks to the three dive operations who assisted with the rescue and recovery - Bottom Time, AquaDives and Amigos del Mar. Amigos even cancelled a trip to free up a boat for our use. It's good to report that although we may be competitors for your money (!) all boat operators in San Pedro pull together when there's an emergency.

This is posted because I can't complain about lack of openness and free exchange of information and then keep quiet about this.

#294199 - 08/21/08 10:16 PM Re: Protech lost a boat today [Re: Peter Jones]
Amanda Syme Offline
dead link.

#294201 - 08/21/08 10:22 PM Re: Protech lost a boat today [Re: Amanda Syme]
ScubaLdy Offline
I was able to pull it up. Peter - you are so upfront - thank you. I'm sorry to hear of your loss but sounds like everyone did their job and no one was harmed. You sure have had a rough go. Stiff upper lip and all that crap!
Take only pictures leave only bubbles

#294203 - 08/21/08 10:34 PM Re: Protech lost a boat today [Re: ScubaLdy]
seashell Offline
Ah geez, Peter. I'm sorry this happened to your boat, your crew, your op and your divers!

As you say, it is a great thing that everyone pulls together when there is need.

Amanda, "dead link"? I don't get it.
A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#294211 - 08/21/08 11:22 PM Re: Protech lost a boat today [Re: seashell]
Peter Jones Offline
Amanda took a URL I posted to a post on another board and replaced it with the content of that other post.

Do understand I'm not proud of this, or the fact that I've posted it - I just feel it has to be posted by someone, and I'd rather that person be me. I had removed myself from this board, but created a new id just for this purpose.

#294215 - 08/21/08 11:34 PM Re: Protech lost a boat today [Re: Peter Jones]
Ambergris Bob Offline
Best of luck to you getting back in operations. This kind of openess instills trust and will work to your benefit in the long run. You likely earned some new "trial" customers as a result. We'll look you up in January.

Bob & Jane

#294223 - 08/22/08 05:40 AM Re: Protech lost a boat today [Re: Ambergris Bob]
Danny2 Offline

As CaptainJeff would say "ship happens". Sorry and good luck, I think you"ll be o.k.

#294228 - 08/22/08 08:23 AM Re: Protech lost a boat today [Re: Danny2]
Barnacle Offline
sorry 'bout your luck.
good that you posted and told what happened.
if you don't, people will just make up something, and then spread it.

#294230 - 08/22/08 08:56 AM Re: Protech lost a boat today [Re: Barnacle]
tacogirl Offline
Sorry to hear that Peter. Hope it all works out ok.

tacogirl Facebook, Belize Life Linked In - Belize info & images https://www.facebook.com/tacogirl

#294233 - 08/22/08 09:52 AM Re: Protech lost a boat today [Re: tacogirl]
terrielinn Offline
Glad to hear that everyone is o.k.! So sorry for the loss. Very happy to hear about the support from others in the diving community. May your business prosper especially considering your openness.

It's great to be .....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
6 registered (SFJeff, samalvey, Safecracker, Pokey, 2 invisible), 58 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,710 Topics
461,236 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.