Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Now I'm worried , I've never seen a flag to indicate anything about a hurricane, don't even know where to look and I've been here 22 years and rode through all the hurricanes the sea can throw out.
I check the ambergriscay.com weather report.
now there is a flag for you.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Usually the flag would be raised at the Town Council, Police Station, Fire Station.

Lets keep our fingers and toes crossed and hope for the best.

E
E
The latest track models suggest it crossing the western tip of Cuba, looks like A/C will dodge the bullet, at least for now.

You can never say we have dodged the bullet until the storm is out of the Caribbean Basin and back into the atlantic or in the gulf.

Originally Posted by nug_luvr
As a tourist showing up next week I am hoping someone can explain the flag system for me. Also, as a tourist what should I know in case of evacuation? I'm sorry if these questions have been answered before, but just a little bit of a worrier.

As a tourist you will be the first to be given an evacuation order. I believe Tourists have priority of outgoing planes. If there is no time to evacuate your hotel will place you in the safest location they can on the island.

The flag system is described on the NEMO - National Emergency Management Organization website. http://www.nemo.org.bz/

E
E
My Dear Amanda, I issued a C.Y.A. with "at least for now" laugh

Nug_luvr - ordinarily being a worrier is not such a good thing. BUT in this case it is totally warranted, and wise.
About the flags ........they are an old custom that just tells us how far away the storm is (used before phones radio and internet)- if you want to know details, check out the Belize NEMO site.
The most important thing to know is that when there is a hurricane in the region, even if you are fortunate enough to be in a place with perfect weather, you will probably experience effects. Travel in the region will be disrupted, flow of goods will be disrupted and people will be distracted.
On top of that, please note that most resorts and major restaurants close in September as a matter of course.
Airlines will not cancel flights until the last minute, so do not use their agents for advice on whether to come.
As for arriving on Monday - if you check <stormcarib.com> you can choose the "closest point of approach" tool. According to the predictions made a few hours ago, the closest point of approach to Ambergris Caye will be 2 am Sunday. If the storm slows down - and it is predicted to do so - then the closest point may be a bit later, the storm may be closer and it will for sure be stronger than now predicted. If I were planning a trip on Monday I'd be packed and ready to go (to Belize), but glued to the computer and tv screen on Sunday. Make your decision on Sunday night. If at 5pm Sunday the storm is north of AC and more than 200 miles away, then you are probably good to go.
Please do not arrive in a climate of uncertainty - you will have a lousy time and will add to the pressures we already face.

We want tp host you on a wonderful vacation in this country - and if we're busy preparing for a disaster we cannot provide you with anything close to that experience. So............ had you asked should you come in on Thursday I'd have said no. Monday is another story - you may be able to do it just fine - then again, check your flight route because you may be routed through a US city that is also in the path of gustav.

I have what seems like total recall (PTSS?) of Mitch - and how it was going to Cuba --- but ended up in Honduras and even so, managed to destroy all the piers on AC. Also of note was Keith who was just a little bitty TS at supper time, but landed on us at 7 am as a cat 4. Forecasts are just not able to give us the pinpoint accuracy we wish for. The only certainty is that anything can happen.
The upper level high is our boogey-manright now - it will determine how much the storm slows and how far south the track dips. Unfortunately this high is building and each prediction puts the storm further west and south.
My personal bets are for AC to be ok, but with some big water.
That being said, better safe than sorry - don't get complacent about this one.
Dito Everything Amanda said.

My fears are for New Orleans. American Red Cross has already anounced they are mobilied to respind to a hit on Houston or New Orleans.

Thank you for the advice. We are actually not arriving until the end of next week. Never know what can happen. Hubby is the proverbial cool cucumber so I know things will be just fine. Can't wait to get back to SP.

H
H

The big "cone of uncertainty" has just dropped again at the 2pm EDT advisory - now included Chetumal.

Doesn't mean anything... yet.

But be sure to check on this storm at least once a day till it enters the gulf of Mexico.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 356 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.