Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#295019 - 08/27/08 06:49 PM Thoughts on bringing a teenager to Belize
karenhume Offline
We are considering relocating to Belize next year with our 17 year old son. We have been advised that this is a bad idea as there is nothing for teenagers to do except get into trouble. We had hoped that it would be a better environment physically and mentally for teenagers there than it is here in Glasgow, UK. Debate!!

#295051 - 08/27/08 10:11 PM Re: Thoughts on bringing a teenager to Belize [Re: karenhume]
dabunk Offline
No debate, we brought our teenage son with us when we moved. Kids here are outside more and sports are everywhere. You will probably find he is way ahead of others in his classes in school. We homeschool our kids even before we moved here so that part of the transition did not apply to us. But when we compared what he was learning at his level compared with what equivalent age groups of Belizean teens were being taught, he was way ahead of them. It is one of the best things we did for our kids moving to Belize, but there are major adjustments.

#295059 - 08/27/08 10:41 PM Re: Thoughts on bringing a teenager to Belize [Re: dabunk]
pamkillen Offline
check out your pm

#295152 - 08/28/08 02:03 PM Re: Thoughts on bringing a teenager to Belize [Re: karenhume]
karenhume Offline
Thank you dabunk. It is great to hear from other people with teenagers that it is not all doom and gloom! If my son comes he will have finished school by that time so I am still concerned that there may be few opportunities for him out there other than persuing his hobbies. Which he may be quite happy with for the long term but I would not be!

#295154 - 08/28/08 02:07 PM Re: Thoughts on bringing a teenager to Belize [Re: pamkillen]
Amanda Syme Offline
Hi Karen

I will still answer the email but since you have made a post here....

The only reason my teenage daughter is currently not residing here is because she is furthering her education abroad.

She did live here until she was 17.

Sure there are drugs on the street, alcohol is abundant, hiv/aids is prevalent, teen pregnancies are at an all time high. But isn't this true of any place you live?

However, we have something that other places doesn't have - an amazing caribbean sea and reef system to explore, virgin rain forests, ancient Maya temples and other ruins.

oops gotta go....

#295170 - 08/28/08 02:48 PM Re: Thoughts on bringing a teenager to Belize [Re: Amanda Syme]
karenhume Offline
Thanks as always Amanda. I look forward to your e-mail.

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 25 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,637 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,733 Topics
461,294 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.