Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#296975 - 09/05/08 11:16 AM Fishing license
bywarren Offline
September 03, 2008

Cabinet has approved the “Sport Fishing” License upon the recommendation of the ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Cooperatives. Sport Fishing, a catch and release of three types of fish, is expected to bring in three hundred thousand Belize dollars a year and create one thousand eight hundred new jobs. Stake holders in the industry namely National, Northern and the Rio Grande Fishing Cooperatives, hoteliers and Fishermen have been consulted and the three main types of fish that have been approved for sport fishing are Tarpon, Bonefish and Permit. Anyone wishing to get a Sports Fishing License can call the Fisheries Department in Belize City at 2-2-3-2-6-2-3 or 2-2-4-4-5-5-2."

Another price increase to an already expensive destination.

Questions: How is this going to create 1,800 new jobs unless they hire 1,800 "fishing wardens". And, if I understand this to be a license required for fishing for the 3 species listed, what happens when someone is fishing for snapper and one of the 3 species grabs his bait? Also, what is the cost and how long is the license good for?

Granted, this probably won't keep the die hard flats fishermen from coming to Belize. But, with all the negatives currently going against a vacation to Belize, the last thing needed is another cost and maybe just enough to keep someone who was thinking about a day or a half day fishing to pass on the experience.

Seems to me there are more downsides to this than gains.

#297171 - 09/05/08 11:28 PM Re: Fishing license [Re: bywarren]
Rykat Offline
Remember one thing, bywarren. Whether it be there or here in the states a Fishing License is pure and simple - a TAX.
Salt Water licenses are mainly a tax on small businesses because they are the ones(the charter guys or guides) that will have to pay it. For flyrodders and fresh water its on the indidvidual. These taxes(salt water) generate NOTHING except a pitance of revenue for the gov't
Thats the way it works here and Im sure that is the way it will work there.
Locals should fight it if they can
GOP - The Party of Lincoln.

#297698 - 09/09/08 11:44 AM fishing license
krehfish Offline
There's a press release circulating around the flyfishing community. It claims that as part of Belize's recent protection(catch and release only) of tarpon, permit and bonefish, there is also a license coming. Money to be used for fisheries. Anyone have any more info?
Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.

#297702 - 09/09/08 11:49 AM Re: fishing license [Re: krehfish]
dabunk Offline
We have heard talk of it but nothing from the government itself. But I also have not heard definite on the catch and relaes item either? Anyone know about that?

#297720 - 09/09/08 12:38 PM Re: fishing license [Re: dabunk]
Rykat Offline
check bywarren's post under NATION.
GOP - The Party of Lincoln.

#297732 - 09/09/08 01:01 PM Re: fishing license [Re: Rykat]
dabunk Offline
OK so both are tied into the same bill. But as I read what Bywarren posted, it is not law yet. Correct?

#297881 - 09/09/08 08:04 PM Re: fishing license [Re: dabunk]
Don Greife Offline
If there will be a fee associated with the license, you can bet it will be regulated by the GOB and the Island won't get a dime. The probability is that "only the die-hard" flyfishermen, like me and John, will pay the fee and the resulting 25% reduction in fishing charters will only hurt the charter captains. Time to protest.
I'll be happy to discuss my avatar with anyone who knows what it is.

#297936 - 09/10/08 09:37 AM Re: fishing license [Re: Don Greife]
krehfish Offline
I suspect the operative words are "sport fishing" license. Frankly I don't know any sportfisherman who's kept a tarpon or permit that wasn't dead/nonrevivable. The guides I've fished with are fanatical about reviving them. A few bonefish get kept, but that's b/c their such a great cuda bait. Although you could view this as enlightened fisheries management, I'm tending toward it being simply a revenue stream. IF "sport fishing" excludes subsistance fishing, I view the impact as minimal.
Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Marty), 54 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,718 Topics
461,261 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.