Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
3:00 a.m. - Sunrise hasn't hit Texas yet but I rise with the expectation and excitement of knowing my journey.
8:00 a.m. - Arrive in Houston with some minor setbacks, but reach the Belize bound plane with just enough time to grab the ritual Bloody Mary.
9:30 - As we gain altitude, breaking a thin cloud ceiling, I watch as the last bit of land slips beneath us. I glance around at my fellow travelers. Taking notice of the first-timers, evident by their highlighted, dog-eared Guides to Belize. I sit quietly, thinking to myself- hmmm 7th trip down in 2 years�. Yeah, I'm lucky, damn lucky.
Gazing out the window I notice how the clouds shadows look like thousands of scattered islands on the surface of the water. The expanse of the water and sky seem to melt into one large child's art project that's dotted with Elmer's glue and cotton.
Arrive in Belize City and draw in my first breath of Belize air. Humid, salty with a twinge of jet fuel� but it's all good . I gather my bags and proceed swiftly through customs. So quickly in fact that I'm able to get on a Tropic flight an hour earlier. I text 2 friends in hopes they can relay the message to Taco Girl as she and Taco Boy were meeting me at the airport. The funniest part going through immigration, was the guy asked me if this was my first trip there. I told him it was my 7th time. He said "Welcome Back"��� Two words that still resonate in my memory. I round the corner and grab a Jet's rum punch. Strong as I remember and crowded as always. Finally climb aboard the Tropic flight and take off for San Pedro.
Once more, I am thrilled by the sight. I catch a glimpse of several rays, dark shadows gliding over an emerald green reef. Waters turning from emerald green to turquoise to a dark shade of indigo, only divided by the waves that break over the reef looking like a strand of pearls that had been laid out by Neptune himself.
I arrive in San Pedro and am happy to see that Taco Girl did receive the messages (thanks guys!) We hop aboard the cart Rick lent them (thanks Rick) and head over to Cholo's for me to grab a cart for a day and then run errands for the wonderful dinner that Taco Girl prepared for the evening.
As we round the corner and head for Front street, I'm aware if the roads. "Pavers" as they are called have taken the place of the sandy streets that used to be so quintessential San Pedro. But amidst the "improvements" (or modernization that some are opposed to) I still see things that have not changed, nor do I believe that they ever will. For one, the children, heading to school in their uniforms, smiles and laughter greet us as we pass by. Later in the evening we see some of the same children, playing on the beach, light-hearted and carefree. What a time to be a child and living in San Pedro.
I sit at BC's savoring my first Pantyripper on island time. Looking at the reef, watching the kids and island dogs and in retrospect I am reminded how funny life is. As an adult, looking for my "blue heaven" I feel as if I have found it, but I wonder if the children in San Pedro really know how lucky they are to be living where they are. At the same time I wondered that as a child if I was ever mindful of how lucky I was to be living where I grew up.

Take the road less traveled
Beautiful Spurs, any one can tell that you love it! Keep'em coming. Can't wait until Part 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO
Hemingway's lost offspring, Ernestine has surfaced! smile

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
K
K
Beautifully written...you have a gift. Thanks for sharing.

you done good, sweetie! smile

I can never remember which is better . . . safe? . . . or sorry?
I am way impressed! I think that skooling you have been doing is paying off.

I like the "Welcome back" part, I got that this year from the girls @ Celi's deli when they asked "Vacation again?"

Last edited by carbunketrumpet; 09/08/08 10:09 AM. Reason: added a thought

But why eat my vegetables I already know that I am short!
www.carbunkletrumpet.wordpress.com
smile very nice first day point of view.

"day 2...went scuba diving (with only minor calamity) and then had a relaxing time at beautiful Caribbean Villas' beach bbq (yum) with the taco's and SJ, Bruce and their incredibly nice boys." laugh

P
P
Looking forward to the 2nd installment, thank you.

So many good memories of SP. I love reading trip reports and letting the warm waters of good memories wash over me.

Being completely serious here... I'm almost afraid to go back to SP. If I do, one of two things will happen:
1. I will break down at the reality of having to leave again
OR
2. I will tear up my return itcket and never go back to the States. This I cannot afford to do, but would be extraordinarily tempting.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.