Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#297237 09/06/08 12:37 PM
P
Phxgrl Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Looking to relocate to San Pedro for a year. I'm an attorney licensed in the U.S. and have been practicing corporate law for 8 years. I would love to work for a law firm or multi-national company in San Pedro or Belize City, even if I couldn't practice law. If anyone has any leads, please let me know. Thanks!

You cannot even do volunteer work while in Belize without applying and recieving a work permit.

Phxgrl...don't let anyone try to discourage you....if there is a will..there is a way....go for it!

Good for you Phxgrl, best of luck!

Dabunk, she never said she was not going to apply for a work permit? Way to encourage!

L
L
Phxgrl: good question and one that I always have wondered what the answer is. I am in my 11th year of practicing in California as a civil lit defense attorney. Although I have never considered relocating to Belize to work, I did do some in-depth research into possible available work in Panama - may give you ideas or food for thought, even though Belizean law may be completely different.

A friend in Panama hooked me up with his corporate attorney in Panama City. The Panamanian attorney was kind enough to speak to me and e-mail me with tons of info.

--In order to practice law there, you must go to a Panama law school. But, you can only do that if you are a Panamanian citizen (born or naturalized) or from a Latin American country. So, struck down from the beginning for me.

--There are American lawyers there that act as consultants with Panamanian law firms, but they cannot sign legal documents (obviously). You really need to know somebody or have some unique and valuable credentials.

--If you are only allowed to work as a consultant, you must find some area that dovetails with your background (i.e. get a good angle on something). Was told there is a brisk business in Panama for admiralty litigation (which closely follows Louisiana law) and corporate law. Serving as a liasion for real estate transactions with American expats was another suggestion. A big need for those services there.

-- More than a few American expats who run long-time successful businesses there told me that I could do very well if I connected with a local accountant, but that is not my background. Apparently, it is a hot area where a very decent living could be made.

Given that Belize is a former English Colony, I would venture to guess that the law may be structured on English common law, but since Belize has been an independent country for many years, I would also bet there are lots of changes.

Give a shout out to any contacts you may have there or on this board who know of a reputable attorney that you can speak with. Fly down there and talk to people and feel it out.

Good luck!

Have you considered illegal jobs?

Now live from beautiful downtown San Pedro.
That's funny, Dutch! laugh

I can never remember which is better . . . safe? . . . or sorry?

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 133 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.