Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#299363 09/18/08 01:01 PM
OP Offline
Okay, for those that were asking, here it is:

http://www.doe.gov.bz/EIAs.html

The public consultation will be held on October 10th, 2008 at 6:30pm on the 2nd level of the Alliance Bank Building in San Pedro Town.

The general public is invited to attend.

copies of the EIA are available for perusal at the San Pedro Town Council office, the San Pedro Library, The Hold Chan Marine Reserve Office, the Reef Village office, the Belize Fisheries department in Belize City and The DOE office in Belmopan.

K
K
I hope the majority of the report is more accurate than,"...the project site is located 28.77 mi SW of Belize City"

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
Can you guys/gals help me understand why South Beach seems to be in the hot seat or being viewed through a microscope while another huge development goes unnoticed or simply not talked about at all?

The Brahma Blue / Costa De Sol development appears to be a larger development than South Beach. It advertises a future 18 hole golf coarse ( that sure requires a lot of mangrove clearing ) as well as residences, condos, resorts, restaurants, ect. ect.

http://www.brahmablue.com/index2.html

Just curious as to why one seems to be a target for the anti-development / conservationists while the other seems to fly under the radar?

I'm not choosing sides either way here, I just don't understand the disparity here between what seem to be similar developments to me.

Last edited by Belize-N-Us; 09/18/08 02:33 PM.

Future full time Belizeans
Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
S
S
where is this place? It is big and expensive.

suecate #299492 09/18/08 10:30 PM
P
P
SB is partly inside the "protected" Hol Chan Reserve.....

Amanda, i really enjoyed meeting and talking with you, and hope to again, but we both know we stand on two different side of this issue.

EIA aside, if SB has all those amenities i dont really believe SP town will see that much tourist business. i see it here, the people who come to my area to shop at the high end retail places sure-as-shite ain't eating at the lil greasy spoon place. people who travel to all-inclusives don't generally leave the property. if SB has it all, why leave the campus? and really, does SP really need a water-slide park, and who stands to profit from it?

"SB is partly inside the "protected" Hol Chan Reserve....."

Incorrect, read the EIA.....

In 1961, Ambergris Cay Development Company Ltd. acquired 4,800 acres of property which
was sold to Caribbean Coves Ltd. in 1984 in its entirety. Caribbean Coves Ltd then sold two
separate parcels of 312 acres each on June and December, 1989 respectively to Island Resorts.
The parcel sold in December is the parcel that includes the section of land in question. The
entire description can be gotten from Annex III, which has three Deeds, one from 1984, and two
from 1989. Also included is a document of agreement for sale between Island Resorts Limited
and South Beach Development Ltd, the developer of the property in question.
Therefore, by reviewing said documents, all said property has been in private hands since 1961.

Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
"water-slide park"???????????

Sweetjane, where did this info come from? I haven't seen any info on a water slide park.

Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
pg 27:

"These are considered as part of the overall recreational aspect of the South Beach Belize development.

* Water Theme Park - This water park will be modeled to include water slides, waterrivers,water scapes and water waves along with the required amenity services that accompany these types of parks such as restaurants, galleries, lockers, bathrooms,
outdoor showers, beverage consoles, life guards, security etc."

My bad.

I haven't read the entire document yet. Just down loaded it at the end of the day yesterday and made it about 1/2 way through.

They don't advertise a future water park on their web site.

At any rate, AC doesn't NEED another T-shirt shop. It doesn't NEED a french bakery but it has one and I'm sure a lot of folks are glad it does.

My point being, in a free market supply and demand determine success. If there is no demand then a venture will fail. If an investor wants to spend their own money and develop their own property then they have every legal right to do so.

The property in question has never been "public" property. It is not being developed with "public" funding. Why then would the "public" people feel they have any legal right to stop development of this property?

I understand and somewhat share your conservationist attitude. I too believe that certain areas should be preserved in their natural state. I agree that the gov of Belize should continue to purchase and designate areas for preservation. This area however was not purchased by the gov of Belize nor any other group/individual with conservation in mind. It was purchased by various investment groups all of which had the word "development" attached to or implied in their names.

I just don't see how anyone can justify trying to dictate what a private property owner can legally do with his/her own land.

What if my nieghbors didn't like the color of my brick, or the size of my house or the type car I drive?

For the record, I think copying South Beach Miami is in poor taste. Copying anything is in poor taste and lacks imagination/creativity. But I have no legal right to dictate that Jeff shouldn't copy anything.

Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.