Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#299768 - 09/20/08 08:06 PM Are you a travel snob?
belizelaw Offline
I was searching the other day on Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree forums, and ran into a travel snob. I told my wife about the run-in, laughed about it, and then wrote a little article for my blog:

Originally Posted By: Wesley Deaton
Travel Snobs

It’s that time of the year, again, when I begin planning a winter trip. This year, I logged on to Lonely Planet’s Thorn Tree forums, a great resource online where travel lovers can share information, hints and tips. Thorn Tree, as Lonely Planet, tends toward the younger, sometimes shoestring budget traveler, folks who like to get a little more off the beaten path. It’s a very exciting bunch of people to talk to, but sometimes, as with my query, your question may elicit responses from a “travel snob.”

I wrote a question looking for a funky, laid back island. I mentioned in my query that my wife and I had gone to Ambergris Caye for numerous years, and wanted something a little different. I mentioned that we don’t like to lie around on the beach, that we like to do physical activities and that we like to try lots of different restaurants. I threw out the possibility of Roatan, one of the Bay Islands in Honduras, and the subject took off from there. A helpful poster, who’d been to Roatan and Ambergris, mentioned how he liked Roatan better, and explained why. Then another, who I’ll just call “T,” suggested Guanaja, and lamented how Roatan had gotten “cheesy.” Another member, in response, pointed out that Guanaja didn’t have many restaurants and that Roatan may be more to our liking.

T, sniffed, “Well, you have a point there. People who like Ambergris to the extent that they will go there repeatedly will most likely like Roatan. Not necessarily a point of flattery though” (emphasis supplied). I prepared a reply, then deleted it, simply thanked everyone for their help and closed the thread.

On almost any travel forum I frequent, I find most members to be very helpful, but occasionally, one will encounter the “travel snob.” The travel snob is someone who has traveled more than you, lets you know it, and wants to let you know how much more sophisticated a traveler he is. He is a traveler. You, by contrast, are a tourist. So first, for the benefit of the travel snob on Thorn Tree, I’d like to prepare a response that he’ll never see. Then, for the benefit of fellow travelers, I’d like to help you spot the travel snob—and hopefully, prevent yourself from becoming one.

Dear T:

Thank you for your help with my question. As you can tell from the fact that I travel to Ambergris Caye, I’m obviously not the seasoned travel that you are. I looked at your travel blog, and noticed that, while you appear to be around my age, your lifestyle consists of traveling around the world on a boat, while I work and support my family. Good for you.

You are probably right when you say that Guanaja would not be to our liking, especially if the entire island doesn’t contain a road, and there’s nothing much to do there. While sitting in a beach hut all day, smoking pot with the dreadlocked Dutch chick you met two days prior may be exciting to some people, my wife and I like to run, swim, hike and stay active; hence, we do like islands with at least enough development for us to do that.

Also, while I can appreciate your bohemian lifestyle, I don’t have the luxury that you appear to have (whether through your parents’ trust fund or a desire not to work) of taking multi-month or multi-year trips. We love to travel, and yes, we love places with at least the rudiments of development so that our very brief trips are just a bit more enjoyable.

If you one day have a family, or a full-time job (or better yet, both), you may find that it is not so easy to spend weeks at a time in every obscure location on the globe—in fact, you have to pick and choose carefully, relying on the advice of friends and travel forum members. Hopefully, if that day comes, you won’t encounter some douchebag who mocks your tastes as being too pedestrian.

Sincerely,

Me

Now that I’ve gotten that out of the way, here, dear readers, are TEN WAYS TO TELL IF YOU’RE A TRAVEL SNOB.

1. You’ve sewn a Canadian flag to your travel backpack—and you have always lived in the U.S.

2. You, when in a foreign country, and around other tourists, speak to your travel companions in the local language, so that the other Americans around you won’t think you’re a fellow countryman and talk to you. Note: on our honeymoon in Brussels, the female of the couple sitting beside us at a restaurant attempted to talk to her boyfriend the entire time in French. Nice try, ma’am. Not only did we not care to talk to you anyway, but we could tell you weren’t natives—my French was better than yours.

3. You come from a wealthy first world country, and lament how a particular island is going to become “spoiled” or “overdeveloped”—because the locals are building their first road.

4. You think a hotel isn’t “authentic” if your room contains climate control or its own bathroom.

5. You have met a local whose entire year’s wages are less than one week of your own, and you tell them, knowingly, that they’re better off the way they are.

6. You decry an area as “too touristy” when you see more white faces than just your own.

7. You call an area a “tourist trap” if it’s mentioned in Lonely Planet.

8. You’ve spent less than a year in Britain, and started speaking with a British accent.

9. You refer to every trip to any place you’ve taken more two years ago as being “before it became too commercialized.”

10. You refer to the poor, working class traditional people in your host country as “authentic,” while referring to those people in your home country as “rednecks.”

To the great members of Thorn Tree, thanks for the help, and thanks, most of you, for not being travel snobs.

http://investtheworld.blogspot.com

Are you a travel snob?

#299770 - 09/20/08 08:23 PM Re: Are you a travel snob? [Re: belizelaw]
Leah-Ann Offline
Wes, excellent - as always! smile
Thanks for the grins - and for being so pedestrian, as it's nice to have someone to relate to! wink

#299916 - 09/22/08 01:43 AM Re: Are you a travel snob? [Re: Leah-Ann]
belizelaw Offline
Thanks, I appreciate the compliment!

#299921 - 09/22/08 01:59 AM Re: Are you a travel snob? [Re: belizelaw]
sweetjane Offline
i just noticed this post. interesting, and funny. i have to say there were times i was guilty of one or two of those things. (YIKES!). will have to be more conscious...

#299924 - 09/22/08 02:02 AM Re: Are you a travel snob? [Re: belizelaw]
LaurieMar Offline
Pretty funny - although there is a place or two that I would not return to because I believe it has become too Americanized for my tastes. Puerto Vallarta comes to mind. And, one woman I still remember from about 20 years ago on a flight from San Francisco to Cancun.

She was decked out in bling, makeup, hairspray, etc. It was not my best day - out late the night before the flight, tired, no makeup and dressed to go to the tropics. When she heard my destination was not a fancy highrise hotel on a beach in Cancun, but rather, Isla Mujeres, her comments turned condescending and downright rude. Turns out, I didn't care for Cancun anyway! To this day, I cannot remember what my former boyfriend said to her, but remember it was funny and she didn't say another word to us, just glared.

Years later, I reflect and thank God, this kind would never consider setting foot on Ambergis Caye. 4th and long, punt!

#299927 - 09/22/08 02:14 AM Re: Are you a travel snob? [Re: LaurieMar]
RMT Offline
Thank you. Most certainly gives you pause for thought.
I agree with Jane I have probably been guilty of one or two of those listed as well. That said I love hearing about others vacations, itineraries and experiences as they travel. You have to be open minded to the fact that we all travel differently and what may appeal to one person not so much another.

Thanks and maybe you should have posted that reply to him! <grin>

#299953 - 09/22/08 10:28 AM Re: Are you a travel snob? [Re: RMT]
Laguna Punta Offline
An old truck driver friend told me he was going to Cancun for a vacation. I mentioned some attractions in the vicinity...he paused, and said that he was not going to step out of the enclosed air conditioned resort that the resort was enough Mexico for him. I have always felt fortunate to make friends with the locals and to apprechiate others culture. His loss...my gain.

#300008 - 09/22/08 07:24 PM Re: Are you a travel snob? [Re: Laguna Punta]
MelissaAK Offline
We've been to lots of places with lots of levels of "Americanization" but I have been on many message boards where people find it necessary to comment on the type of hotel people choose to stay in and about how someone is missing out on the true culture of the area by not staying in a small local hotel rather than a high rise or all inclusive. We take different trips to different places and sometimes we stay in a "hole in the wall" and sometimes we just need to destress and have someone wait on us for a few days. We are staying at small properties in Belize, but I don't think I should have to justify that, either. Even when we were considering places to stay on this trip, on the 'other' Belize board I got a couple snide comments when I asked about Cave's Branch Lodge. That is not one of the places we chose, but why does it have to be that way at all? Our trip is our trip - I don't criticize yours so why should someone else care what we are doing?

#300252 - 09/24/08 02:22 AM Re: Are you a travel snob? [Re: MelissaAK]
drummer dan Offline
Travel snobs? Eeekk! Anyone who says a given destination is too this, or too that isn't a snob, just an idiot. The world has different attributes to any specific location. Enjoy it or don't, but realize everyone has different values for their travel time. Send those backpackers you speak of to the Corn Islands if they want "unspoiled". Almost no infrastucture there....

#300253 - 09/24/08 02:27 AM Re: Are you a travel snob? [Re: drummer dan]
SP Daily Offline
Shhh. leave the Corn Islands alone..Please!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
5 registered (Judyann H., BrownDogs, azbob, steeplejack, 1 invisible), 37 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,675 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,060 Topics
462,314 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.