Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#301926 - 10/02/08 09:32 AM Which is better digicell or smart reception S.P.
Tim Callanan Offline
I Need a new cell phone,which has better reception smart or digicell?? We have a new antenna's on island and things change often. Thanks in advance
Tina's Island Life

#302121 - 10/03/08 08:47 AM Re: Which is better digicell or smart reception S.P. [Re: Tim Callanan]
tacogirl Offline
We use digicell and it is ok - it is more phone issues of late than phone service issues. I also like digicell double up days and text bundles 50 for $5 and 100 for $8

(tacoboy says not greatest reception as a second opinion lol)

Never tried smart so nut sure how it compares but Rick uses Smart now you can ask him. I know he used to use digicell before he lost his phone on the mainland.
tacogirl Facebook, Belize Life Linked In - Belize info & images https://www.facebook.com/tacogirl

#302123 - 10/03/08 08:55 AM Re: Which is better digicell or smart reception S.P. [Re: tacogirl]
dabunk Offline
Smart has much better signal strength. Tower is in PG town. Digicell loses signal about 2 miles away. Smart has signal at my home at mile 8 1/2.

#302130 - 10/03/08 09:56 AM Re: Which is better digicell or smart reception S.P. [Re: dabunk]
pugwash Offline
Are you going to use it 24/7/365 or is it just for occasional use?

A smart pre paid offers great reception all over Belize, including parts of Corozal where BTL doesn't seem to work, but there are 2 things to consider; The line goes inactive after 90 days of no use, and you also have to choose how you pre load the phone, as the lower amounts fall off quickly.

20 x $5 cards will disappear after 14 days, while a $100 pre load will last 90 days!

If you get a Smart prepaid, call yourself from the US once every 60 days just to keep the phone active, and also explain to friends that the voice mail cannot be personalized at this time!

*im on an internet Explored browser with no spell check, so you'll just have to deal with the mistakes that are sure to be there

Edited by pugwash (10/03/08 03:48 PM)
Edit Reason: Got back to a firefox browser with spellcheck!
It's rarely rocket science, it's usually just math: then again if you can't do the math.......

#302135 - 10/03/08 10:34 AM Re: Which is better digicell or smart reception S.P. [Re: pugwash]
Peter Jones Offline
I bought six Smart phones for staff when they were on special offer, and topped all of them up quite generously (for use on/from boats). About a day after the very brief warranty (I think it was one month) expired every one of the phones died, but when I took them all back (together!) I was simply told they were worthless. As they don't use a SIM card but the credit is recorded on the phone itself I lost that as well.

When I buy something I look at the company that's selling it, and these people proved themselves to be shysters. I've never gone near Smart since.

Although there are some issues with Digicell, it does at least conform to industry standards and uses standard SIM cards. So you can pick and choose your phone instrument, and use the same phone in different countries by swapping SIM cards. And around here at any rate the performance is OK.

To me it's no contest.

#302226 - 10/03/08 02:51 PM Re: Which is better digicell or smart reception S.P. [Re: Peter Jones]
ida_y_vuelta Offline
i like smart better than digicell!
texting is cheaper off of smart and the calls seem to be cheaper too, especially when calling to Canada!
smart seems to have better reception (depending on the phone mind you)

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (Marty, ragman, 1 invisible), 39 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,633 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,709 Topics
461,233 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.