Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#303148 10/08/08 08:42 PM
RobertE Offline OP
OP Offline
What is the brand of inexpensive Cruiser style bikes that the hardware stores in San Pedro sell? I'm looking for a Crusier bike back home and don't want to pay a fortune.

Thanks Everyone.

H
H
Wal Mart sells them...check their website.

P
P
Trek also make them and they're vastly better made and more durable. I don't know how much they cost.

Anyone in San Pedro have an old bike they do not use or want? A local friend recently had his stolen and with it being low season it is not in his budget to replace it at the moment.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

My bicycle was bought at Castille's and the brand name is Hurricane. The most important thing is to buy only the bike with stainless wheels and aluminum spokes. Otherwise the salt will soon destroy the steel wheels. A one speed bike works the best in San Pedro...the gears also have problems with the salt air.

Gone fishing!!
P
P
Beware also of the frame rusting from the inside. I know of a nasty accident when the frame just disintegrated when the bike hit a bump. A good point in favor of the Treks, as their frames are aluminum.

There aren't decent chains available here. In Britain you can get nickel-plated rustless chains (made in Germany I think) at a fraction of the cost of stainless steel ones, but I've never heard of them here.

But none of this matters for a bike used in a more user-friendly environment. The main problem there with the Chinese bikes is that the metal is low grade and soft, so wears quickly.

We love our Hurricane bikes. We bought two, over 2 years ago. They live outside. They are our exclusive form of transport. They are still alive and will probably last another six months. If you look after them on a very basic level, they are surprisingly hardy bikes.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

P
P
2 1/2 years? How do you keep them so long? (ie how do you stop them being stolen?)

Peter,

We only had one bike go missing and that turned out to be a drunken misunderstanding on the taker's part. It was returned the next day.

We usually always lock them if they are where we can't see them. If we use them at night, we don't leave them anywhere obvious. That is about the only things we do. Perhaps we are lucky but we often go shopping with our bikes, forget to lock them and leave shopping in the basket as we go from store to store. Have never had anything go missing. Maybe our bikes just give off good vibes. Who knows?

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

P
P
I've had bikes stolen in town and from my house. Locked on almost every occasion.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 268 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.