Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#303666 - 10/11/08 05:56 PM South Beach vs Credit Crunch
Don Greife Offline
Us tourists really can offer little in the way of vocal concerns with local politics, developers and other corrupt groups but we do wonder just how a continuation of real dirt turning construction at South Beach is going to be financed in light of the worlds failure to provide credit even to buy a new ice box. IMHO;;; Ain't gonna happen soon.

#303828 - 10/12/08 05:40 PM Re: South Beach vs Credit Crunch [Re: Don Greife]
Danny2 Offline

Don, I think you are correct. Big new changes are cumming like a freight train. Things like they were ain't never cumming back.

#303957 - 10/13/08 03:44 AM Re: South Beach vs Credit Crunch [Re: Danny2]
indygal Offline
Oh please - never is a long time.

#303958 - 10/13/08 03:55 AM Re: South Beach vs Credit Crunch [Re: indygal]
Don Greife Offline
Well,, Being 78,,at least NEVER in my lifetime.
AND; I'm going to just wait till SP condos are reduced in price 30% like in Miami. How long do you think it will take?

#303964 - 10/13/08 04:58 AM Re: South Beach vs Credit Crunch [Re: Don Greife]
ScubaLdy Offline
For the last two years there have been a lot of us shaking our heads about over building here. I have a feeling we are not going to have much of a season this year.

Edited by ScubaLdy (10/13/08 06:47 PM)

#303972 - 10/13/08 01:31 PM Re: South Beach vs Credit Crunch [Re: ScubaLdy]
Danny2 Offline

Here's part of the scam that often is overlooked, imo. The cost of these projects, big picture, is $ per sq. ft. I have no idea what that is, none. I do know at first you get a big bang for the buck and during the finish stages a lot of money is needed but often not there. The general contractor or project manager over bills for work completed per sq. ft. He pays the sub contractor little and has money left over to seed other projects. By the time it comes to the finish roads, landscaping, lighting and all the rest of detailing the money is gone.

#304033 - 10/13/08 06:01 PM Re: South Beach vs Credit Crunch [Re: Danny2]
Canam Offline
I still don't understand why more and more projects like these or "pillows" get approved, with less and less "heads" to rest upon them. There are enough unfinished timeshares/condo developments that call themselves "hotels and resorts" here. The problem is that none of these have any sort of financial cushion to help them through the tougher rental periods. They simply turn into defunct eye-sores, barely finished, if finished at all. The very few hotels/resorts that are here are not exactly bursting at the seams 24-7, 365.

Edited by Canam (10/13/08 06:02 PM)

#304041 - 10/13/08 06:51 PM Re: South Beach vs Credit Crunch [Re: Canam]
ScubaLdy Offline
We used to hear quoted that we had a 40% vacancy rate. Now I am hearing 40% occupancy rate. Airlines are cutting back on the number of planes they are bringing in each week. I tried to book on American for December and the web site says only Thursday, Friday and Sunday.

#304078 - 10/13/08 10:04 PM Re: South Beach vs Credit Crunch [Re: ScubaLdy]
Loansum-Al K Offline
Harriette, it appears Reef Village may have an occupancy rate of maybe 10%......looks like a ghost town to me.....of course if you have a boat it's easier to get to!

#304090 - 10/14/08 12:33 AM Re: South Beach vs Credit Crunch [Re: Loansum-Al K]
GBZ39 Offline
Occupancy at RV doesn't matter to Jeff.

His interest is in what is sold.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (lomckenna, Marty), 22 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,023 Topics
462,214 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.