Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#304346 - 10/15/08 03:31 PM Thieves hit Manelly's Ice Cream
Marty Offline
After a long three day weekend celebrating the Pan American holiday, on Tuesday, October 14th thieves targeted the Manelly's Ice Cream Parlor located on Barrier Reef Drive in search of quick cash. Clemencia Uribina, employed at Manelly's for the past four years, explained that the day started out just like any normal work day. Upon arriving at the establishment, she noticed that her co-worker, Mariela was already there with Mrs. Shelly del Valle. Work continued as normal and as she went to retreive the broom from the back of the building, a young man, grabbed her and told her to get back inside, "esto es un asalto [this is a robbery]."
According to Urbina, there were two culprits who asked them to lie face down on the floor while the robbery continued. "'Si gritan matalas [if they scream, kill them],' they kept saying," explained Urbina. According to the witness, both men held knives to thier throats at different times throughout the incident.
Police officers are still processing the scene and an official report has not been released. It is uncertain as to how much cash was stolen but another report suggests that the robbers dropped their bag of loot while making their escape along Angel Coral Street.
We'll have more on this story in Thursday's edition of The San Pedro Sun, stay tuned!

http://sanpedrosun.blogspot.com/2008/10/thieves-hit-manellys-ice-cream.html

#304350 - 10/15/08 03:37 PM Re: Thieves hit Manelly's Ice Cream [Re: Marty]
suecate Offline
This makes me sad to see this happen. I hope they catch who ever did this. I feel safe in AC and don't want that to change.

#304371 - 10/15/08 05:08 PM Re: Thieves hit Manelly's Ice Cream [Re: suecate]
Canukboi Offline
Absolutely agreed suecate. This has to be stopped somehow. Too many instances of this sort of thing are popping up.

#304382 - 10/15/08 05:35 PM Re: Thieves hit Manelly's Ice Cream [Re: Canukboi]
Dutch Offline
I'm glad no one was hurt. Have the BDF left? In September, they were everywhere.

#304383 - 10/15/08 05:36 PM Re: Thieves hit Manelly's Ice Cream [Re: Canukboi]
sweetjane Offline
can a local tell me if there is any talk of the perps being non-locals? (wondering from the spanish used)

#304386 - 10/15/08 05:46 PM Re: Thieves hit Manelly's Ice Cream [Re: sweetjane]
drummer dan Offline
Probably not locals. Like most crimes of this type, it was a crime of opportunity. A spur of the moment decision to take advantage of an open door and unsuspecting workers. This is the type of crime that can go bad very quickly. Fortunately, the employees were not seriously hurt. If these criminals are caught, lets hope they are dealt with harshly.

#304391 - 10/15/08 05:55 PM Re: Thieves hit Manelly's Ice Cream [Re: drummer dan]
terrielinn Offline
This is soooo sad! The intensity of the violent threats lead me to believe this is not the first time for these thieves nor will it be the last. Hopefully they will be caught and stopped soon.

#304404 - 10/15/08 06:57 PM Re: Thieves hit Manelly's Ice Cream [Re: terrielinn]
sweetjane Offline
my point was, this could be part of the problem (brought up by Loansum Al) of what happens when all the workers are brought in from elsewhere to build, with no other means of support.

anyone else note that this happened less than a week after all those non-english speaking people were rallied up for that meeting?? maybe coincidence, maybe not.

sorry to change the subject.

#304406 - 10/15/08 07:00 PM Re: Thieves hit Manelly's Ice Cream [Re: sweetjane]
Peter Jones Offline
Only a few days ago a local shopkeeper told me he only comes in to open up early in the morning if he has other men with him. He doesn't feel safe any longer. And he's a San Pedranan born & bred. Very sad and very worrying. It's time a message was sent to these people.

#304481 - 10/16/08 02:46 AM Re: Thieves hit Manelly's Ice Cream [Re: Peter Jones]
Marinka Offline
wow... it means, I should be careful to walk on AC while visiting island? by the way, my last visit to Mexico, everyone
said bad things about Belize, sort of what you can read in this topic.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 28 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,674 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,056 Topics
462,284 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.