Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#305818 10/21/08 09:43 PM
OP Offline
Has anyone sourced out the cheapest place to buy Energy saver light bulbs?

Would like to eventually switch all ours over going bit by bit right now.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

M
M
Just remember that these cool neon energy saving lightbulbs don't kill the bugs the way regular lightbulbs do.

Last edited by Moby; 10/21/08 10:32 PM.
P
P
Nor do they attract them the same way.

M
M
I don't know, I see tiny little bugs crawling all over the ones I have.

I changed over to totally CFLs about 6 months ago.. Haven't been to the tanning salon since.

If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.
R
R
tacogirl, Home Depot in the US has had them on sale for quite some time now. They where priced according to wattage but if I remember correctly it was about $5 for 4 - 13W = 60W bulbs. I have recessed flood lights in the kitchen and they did cost a little more. I just completed switching over most of the lights in our home. It is the right thing to do.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
Something to consider.

Most of the following information was cut and pasted from a website, which has been my general experience with CFLs. I'm down for saving energy, but as Capt. Jeff says, "is the juice worth the squeeze?"

Most CFL's contain about 5 mg of mercury. They are supposed to be disposed of as hazardous waste, but there is no program to take them. (Home Depot does have a collection point and the bags to discard the used CFLs.)

They need a careful cleanup procedure if you break one.

If you use them in an enclosed fixture, or base up in the ceiling, the electronics get hot, and its life is reduced. I couldn't find out by how much.

There are many manufacturers, and you can't tell how long a brand is going to last, or how it reacts to heat or on/off cycles. You need to trust, or you can always pay more for a higher quality CFL.

They are somewhat longer and wider than a regular bulb, so they don't fit everywhere.

Many CFL's, especially the $5 ones, have a slow start-up. It takes them 30 seconds to 3 minutes to fully light up. If you use them outdoors in the cold, some of them never fully light up, or they don't start at all.

You can't use the cheap CFL's with a dimmer, but there are some that will work.

CFL's are fluorescent. Some people get headaches from the light, or they see the 60 cycle flicker and can't read by them, or they hate the color of the light, or they hear a faint buzz.
CFL's get 20% dimmer as they age toward failure.

Some people never need to go to the tanning salon again after a complete change out of bulbs.

A house has many bulbs that are almost never used. It makes no sense to place $5 bulbs in those locations, rather than a $.50 bulb that will last for 5 years anyway.

If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.
thanks for the info. i didn't know where a collection ctr was.

Target also carries inexpensive multi-packs. yes, they take longer to come up, but you get used to it fairly quickly.

we changed out all our bulbs well over a year ago, and not one has burnt out yet.

I agree, Dogmatic. whistle In most cases I don't see the value. We use them in my wife's store and she is constantly changing them. Five year life, my rear!! mad

again, i haven't had one burn out yet. ???

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.