Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#306580 10/25/08 03:20 PM
weile Offline OP
OP Offline

I was told by the "animal desk" at Belize Int'l Airport that only Continental is allowed to transport dogs out of Belize now.
I am taking two dogs to Houston from Int'l Airport (stashed in kennels in the cargo hull), and the rate quoted is $US 689.00 one way!!!
Don't know who made this ridiculous deal, but I guess they will feed their greed while the people who adopt animals and give them a good life gets to pay extra. Sucks!

Is that both or just one

weile Offline OP
OP Offline
It is for both, but when you break it down, a dog in a kennel in the cargo hull pays more than a person in a seat for the trip to Houston. Someone cut a deal with someone, I guess...

Are they big dogs

weile Offline OP
OP Offline
One small (mixed Belizean pot-licker, the size of a small cocker spaniel) and one large (German Sheperd mix) in standard transportation kennels.

That is not a new price or increased fair. A 70 lb dog on continental costs $500 US and has for several years.

FYI the rules have changed flying out of the US since my last update on flying with a dog. If anyone is flying out of the US with an animal PM me for details. VERY IMPORTANT and they will reject you with anything missing.

weile Offline OP
OP Offline
Disgusting!
You can travel as a person one way to Houston with a deadly viral disease and an 800 horsepower ebola virus and triple aids at USD 300 with no questions asked, while a healthy dog must provide certificates and pay twice as much for a space in the cargo area.

Not that I'm defending the airlines, because I most certainly am not after my last horrible nightmare travel with my dog, but you take care of yourself when you get on the plane, off the plane, etc. There's a bit (yes, not much) more work for them storing your dog prior to loading, putting the dog in the appropriate place on the plane (which by the way it not exactly with the luggage), and handling your kennel with care when deplaning and getting it to the appropriate location since they don't ride down the luggage shoot at the baggage claim.

Also, it is a huge hastle for the airlines and a liability so they tend to keep prices high for animals to discourage us from traveling with them.

I agree it is extremely expensive, but if you don't want to pay it maybe you should consider traveling without your loved ones. I hate to pay it but my "little one" who is not so little is worth every penny.

By the way, you mention that dogs need special papers but so do we...it's our passport. You can now apply with BAHA for a doggie passport if you are traveling on multiple occasions with your animal and you just do that once like you do your passport. Same thing.

P
P
Is it possible to send your pets without you for a lesser fare?

no, you can not send pets on a regular flight through unless you are traveling on the flight. You may ship your dogs cargo, however, which is over twice the price if you are not flying and you must drop your dog off one day in advance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 294 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.