Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#306639 10/25/08 08:08 PM
N
New777 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Looking for work in Belize in the mental health field- any leads? Anyone?
Y

New777 #306644 10/25/08 08:12 PM
I could make you a list of people who could use your services, but I am pretty sure there's a space limit.

OK I'm kidding ... sort of.....

Check this board (search) for working in Belize. There are some requirements you must meet before you can work here.

Change your Latitude
N
New777 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
will do, but while I'm doing that would you know of places or people that I could start inquiries with?
Y

New777 #306663 10/25/08 09:08 PM
Have you ever been to Belize?

dabunk #306666 10/25/08 09:11 PM
S
S
Contact the Ministry of Health in Belmopan- 822 2325

Interesting, I just found this while reading Tinas updates. Looks like you in demand.

http://investinbelize.blogspot.com/2008/10/poverty-and-mental-illness-in-belize.html

Poverty and mental illness in Belize

Mental illness and other disabilities can create poverty by making it difficult for people to work and live with any kind of consistency.

The Mental Health Programme of the Ministry of Health commemorated World Mental Health Day on October 10, 2008 with an awareness campaign in all Mental Health Clinics throughout Belize.

http://www.governmentofbelize.gov.bz/press_release_details.php?pr_id=5157

Mental illness and poverty are very serious problems and I wish we had more exposure here in the Caribbean and the rest of the world. Studies have proven that mental illness and poverty go hand and hand. It's hard for people to get treament becuase they can not afford it or do not have access. Medications, treatment and lack of awareness contribute to the lack of funds. Areas with poverty are the least likely to see relief with this debilitating problem. Facilities for dealing with mental illness vary widely around the world. In some countries there are not enough resources, in others expensive privately-run clinics are the only real option and, in some places, people with mental illness may be detained by the police instead of being admitted to hospital. Insurance is available but not common In Belize and other Caribbean countries. In general, insurance companies and Government agencies and the general public are just not recognizing this huge problem. Insurance companies don't allow enough coverage for patients for treatment compared to physical problems. Mental illnesses can sometimes be more devastating than other physical problems. Think of all the hungry poor people in the world pushing shopping carts with all their possessions and living on the street.
This small country can sometimes be difficult to navigate threw. We can help to make it easier; we like to network with all advocacy groups.

Anyone that may be able to help our small country by counseling, education, ideas or treatment please think about volunteering your expertise. Contact Invest in Belize or http://caribbean.dpi.org/index.htm if you would like to help.
This is part of Blog action day-Poverty

Contact the number jesse found and ask how to reach
Dr. Claudina Cayetano - Psychiatrist, Mental Health Programme

N
New777 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Thanks guys for the leads- the volunteer issues sounds like a beginning-
Y

New777 #306769 10/26/08 12:13 PM
N
New777 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Its me again- the mental health person-

No i have never been to Belize but plan on going asap- Any suggestions as to where I can go where I can meet people that can direct me in the right directions... travel directions, a decent but cheap place to stay, a visit to the university.

Also, anyone know how accessible internet services are in belize?

Y

New777 #306798 10/26/08 02:27 PM
lots of internet cafe's here. For recommend on place to stay that depends what area you plan to be in.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.