Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#30686 11/01/00 08:10 PM
R
Rusty Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I'm trying to locate someone with indepth knowledge of the terrain at the northernmost region of Ambergris Caye, bordering Mexico. I am looking at buying some property in that area, and needed to get some details:
(1) whether the land will support agriculture and fruit trees,
(2) what the depth of the water is directly off the shore and to the reef,
(3) how far the shoreline is from the reef,
(4) if there is good diving or snorkeling in that region,
(5) if there are flooding problems in that area,
(6) would the land be suitable for raising horses?

Any feedback on the above questions would be appreciated. I will be arriving in San Pedro on Saturday the 4th.

Thank you.

#30687 11/01/00 08:13 PM
R
Rusty Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Who would I need to contact about getting a boat and operator for part of the day to go see the property next week? Also, what range of cost should I expect?

#30688 11/01/00 11:58 PM
B
B
Hey Rusty,

Might be able to help you out on the boat end of it. Email me directly at [email protected]. Let me know what day or days you are looking at.

Dawn
Barefoot Watersports

#30689 11/02/00 06:35 AM
Rusty.....THINK SALT!

If your into raising horses and agricultural, there is a lot of land on the mainland for sale at a much cheaper price.
Good rich fertile land.....with fresh water.

Take the money you save in property and use it to make weekend trips to go diving.

Not trying to discourage you.....but that northend piece doesn't strike me as agricultural property.

Most of the guys with boats are charging about $200US to go up that far.....not sure how long they will stay for that price either.

It's all bush and mangroves there so not sure how far you will be able to venture in.
It's easier to see from the air.

#30690 11/02/00 08:24 AM
R
Rusty Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thank you for your comments Sandshaker. Our intent is not to be farmers on Ambergris Caye, it is to establish a higher-end all-inclusive resort. Due to the remoteness that we are seeking, I would like to know if we would be able to raise some fruits and vegetables for our own use. The horses are more for transportation purposes, not breeding purposes. Currently living on Palm Beach in Florida, I love the water, so living on the mainland, while less expensive, is not an option.
Other areas we are looking at include: Rocky Point, Robles, Basil Jones, Habaneros, Palmero Point, and Santa Rita. Any views on them.
By the way, I appreciated all your hard work after the hurricane.

#30691 11/02/00 10:26 AM
B
B
Rusty,
An extensive survey of the marine and terrestrial areas near Bacalar Chico were done prior to the establishment of the Bacalar Chico Marine Reserve. You should either contact the Hol Chan office to see if they have a copy of the survey or the Coastal Zone Management Authority/ Institute in Belize City.

#30692 11/02/00 01:23 PM
You should talk to Dr. Sal Mazzulo, [email protected], he is a professor of geology at wichita state that has been studying the area for 30 years or so...

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.