Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#307666 - 10/29/08 07:51 PM black mold
tacogirl Offline
Anyone experience black mold? If so what did you to do get rid of it?

Noticed some on the concrete under our house since all the rain and up in rafters area when I look up.

Was told bleach and water will work.
tacogirl Facebook, Belize Life Linked In - Belize info & images https://www.facebook.com/tacogirl

#307669 - 10/29/08 07:56 PM Re: black mold [Re: tacogirl]
sweetjane Offline
yes, it should.

"The low-tech solution to a perceived mold problem is to thoroughly investigate the building, looking for discoloration, leaks, and similar places where mold is likely to occur, as identified above. If mold is detected, a 25 percent solution of bleach and water applied with a garden sprayer will usually kill it. Interior surfaces can be washed using a sponge dipped in this same bleach solution. Other chemicals commonly found on the market also work well: Jomax is mixed with water and sprayed in one or two applications."

good luck!

#307671 - 10/29/08 08:00 PM Re: black mold [Re: tacogirl]
Bill Mc Ghee Offline
a solution of bleach and water will kill any mold no matter what color. We get green here, and it works great.
Never Use money to measure wealth

#307676 - 10/29/08 08:15 PM Re: black mold [Re: Bill Mc Ghee]
tacogirl Offline

Between this and the big @ss mosquitoes I am not a happy camper ha ha
tacogirl Facebook, Belize Life Linked In - Belize info & images https://www.facebook.com/tacogirl

#307681 - 10/29/08 08:22 PM Re: black mold [Re: tacogirl]
Bill Mc Ghee Offline
"Big @ss Misquitoes...... Get Big @ss lizards smile
Never Use money to measure wealth

#307683 - 10/29/08 08:33 PM Re: black mold [Re: Bill Mc Ghee]
terrielinn Offline
The bleach/water solution works great to kill the mold. A trick I learned when I had to use a moisture remediation expert company is: after the bleach/water solution has killed the mold and has been wiped down and the area has dried, wipe the area down with a damp sponge with dish soap (Dawn, Palmolive, etc.) This leaves the soap residue which is oily even when not visible. This keeps the mold at bay for longer periods of time.

Good luck
It's great to be .....

#307684 - 10/29/08 08:36 PM Re: black mold [Re: terrielinn]
tacogirl Offline
Thanks Terri

we lave loads of lizards Bill but the darn mosquitoes just got them outnumbered.

#307689 - 10/29/08 09:12 PM Re: black mold [Re: tacogirl]
sweetjane Offline
works great in the shower & toidy too smile

#307731 - 10/30/08 08:20 AM Re: black mold [Re: sweetjane]
catdance62 Offline
Hey Tacogirl, black mold is a big problem in this area; so much so that insurance companies wont' cover it. It is my understanding that you have to use some chemicals to get rid of it permenantly, whereas bleach only works for a while, and then the mold can come back. It can make you real sick if you dont' get rid of it. I guess it's the same mold you have?
It is especially a problem after floods.

#307744 - 10/30/08 09:17 AM Re: black mold [Re: catdance62]
sweetjane Offline
there are MANY kinds of mold. i think only one is 'toxic'.

"While not all kinds of black mold are toxic, the toxic kinds can lead to conditions that may be hazardous to our health." - the toxic kind can trigger allergic & respiratory illness in those susceptible to that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,711 Topics
461,241 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.