Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#308139 10/31/08 10:31 AM
S
samray Offline OP
OP Offline
S
What resorts do you consider 5 star on A/C, must have decent beach and pool?

D
D
That would depend on whose rules of rating is used. Do you mean the Michelin standard, Fodors or another?

A
A
Don't have any.

B
B
5 star? Cayo Espanto probably the only one.

5 star means 24 hour room service, every amenity, etc?

S
samray Offline OP
OP Offline
S
The only thing comparable that I can think of would be Inn at Roberts Grove, Placencia.....Anything like that in A/C

Portofino??

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
A
A

Last edited by AdvantageRealty; 10/31/08 11:58 AM.
J
J
I would think Victoria House, Mata Chica, Portofino and Azul would be at least as nice at Robert's Grove.

But, I've never stayed at any of them.....

I think 5 stars is a topic we can chat/discuss over for months to come example in mexcio every place is a five star resort ..and most are 3 star at best not 5 ..there rating they think right , but are not even close As most are just ok places ..But jean h is on the money as far as what is close to 5 star in my book ,the above places are Nice real ,Nice and top of the line for here or any where ..I think I am a expert on this subject.one of the few things I do know ..

Last edited by captjeff; 10/31/08 03:08 PM.

Living The Dream Every Day!
I
I
Between Victoria House and Robert's Grove I'd say Victoria House would rate higher.
They are both great places.
VH has a much better restaurant but Robert's Grove has the hot tubs on the roofs (views to die for) and more overall space and beach area. I guess a personal rating would just depend on what is more important to you.

Standards for five stars certainly vary. Those for Michelin and Mobil probably are about the highest and most strict, though AAA's five diamond rating is also very strict.

In my books on Belize, I define five stars as ...

One of the top hotels in the Caribbean. It is professionally run and guest-focused with an unusually striking location, architectural design and/or facilities....

My five-stars in Belize are:

Azul Resort, North Ambergris Caye
Blancaneaux Lodge, Mountain Pine Ridge
Caye Chapel Island Resort, Caye Chapel
Cayo Espanto, near Ambergris Caye
Chan Chich Lodge, Gallon Jug
Inn at Robert's Grove, Seine Bight (Placencia)
Lodge at Chaa Creek, San Ignacio
Turtle Inn, Placencia
Victoria House, Ambergris Caye

Fodor's (which I also do for Belize as well as a couple of other destinations, including a new guide to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park) doesn't have one- to five-star ratings. Fodor's top rating is Fodor's Choice. It means that a place, hotel or restaurant is "so wonderful that its worthiness is obvious" or "so unique that superlatives don't do it justice."

In the new (2009 edition) of Fodor's I rated the following Belize properties' Fodor's Choice:

Ambergris Caye
Azul Resort
Victoria House

Other Cayes
Cayo Espanto
Caye Chapel Island Resort

Belize City
D'Nest Inn

Orange Walk District
Chan Chich Lodge

Cayo District
The Lodge at Chaa Creek
Blancaneaux Lodge

Stann Creek District
Hamanasi
Inn at Robert's Grove
Turtle Inn

Toledo District
Hickatee Cottages

Of course, your mileage may vary. My only claim to expertise is that I stay in about 100 hotels a year and over the past 18 years have stayed in 150 to 200 hotels in Belize, some many times, so I have some idea of how various properties compare to each other.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
What?????

A
A
Pedro's is definitely five stars or more. The more Jaeger I drink, the more stars I see.

A
A
Originally Posted by KC Jayhawk
Portofino??

Nope

E
E
YES !

NO!

E
E
YEP !!!!!

A
A
Jan and his lovely wife, Sandra, and their absolutely beautiful family (you need to see the kids) make Portofino Resort a definite five star experience if you are looking for a fabulous beach retreat on the adventure coast of Ambergris Caye.

A
A
I personally think, IMHO, that the people that live, work, and provide everlasting memories are the greatest attribute/asset to those visiting this tiny sand bar. I don't think any rating system can accommodate for the love that is showered onto our guests by the people of Ambergris Caye.

La Isla Bonita!

Victoria House.

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love Truly, Laugh uncontrollably.
P
P
IMO a 5* resort needs almost by definition to have a level of (obsequious) service that I find oppressive. I've always preferred 4* or good 3*. From what I know of Portofino (I've never stayed there) I'm pretty sure I would like it. I know VH - never been to Azul.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.