Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Here's the latest, updated version of Michael Fox's annual publication of tourism statistics, taken from the BTB's publication. Although some Countrywide Belize data is included, its focus is on Ambergris Caye.

This year, a new page 12 estimating the amount of room revenue being underreported is included.
//ambergriscaye.com/art/AmbergrisCayeTourismStatistics-2007.xls
//ambergriscaye.com/art/AmbergrisCayeTourismStatistics-2007.pdf

Michael Fox is the American CPA in San Pedro, here 12 years.

Excellent report!

I did, however, find it curious that Mr. Fox apparently didn't look at the potential bias that may come in to the BTB figures, in that as I understand it the BTB includes occupancy and revenue figures from only some Belize hotels, excluding some small guesthouses and lower priced properties, and not including all BTB member properties. If this is the case, it could be a counterweight to the possible underreporting of revenue.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
That doesn't make sense. I have always been led to believe that the information is directly from the BTB records from the monthly statements from each hotel. This report includes the register of the guest's name, where they are from, how long they stayed, how much they paid per night and how much (9%) hotel tax was collected and remitted.

I always figures the stats would run lower than reality because I would imagine that some hotels, mainly the smaller ones, probably don't report all of their income.

The Belize Tourist Board doesn't have "members" per se. It is a government body that governs tourism. Every hotel is supposed to apply for and maintain a hotel license and every hotel is required to send in a monthly report.

I think you must be thinking about the BHA and BTIA which are private member groups.

Great report. Just a few of questions: What will be done with the information? Will it be ignored and construction continue? Or will it be heeded and construction continue anyway with a definitive plan to increase tourism to the area? or will it be heeded and construction be curbed until.....?

May AC continue to be the place to be in BZ!

It's great to be .....

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 290 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.