Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
H
H
In the States if the employee (subcontractor) can show that he has more than one employer (maybe be a divemaster for 2 diveshops) for the same services; that he performs the work for a subcontracted price, and does the work "unsupervised"(no over the shoulder supervision) he is in fact a subcontactor. I would imagine Belize follows similar guidelines.

S
S
Yep.

I have not lived here long but you really should live here for 6 months before you sink all your money into this. you will learn what you need to know if you just spend some time here.
Mary

mary
P
P
ashley, you have a PM

Mary what a wise thing to say..i think anyone who wants to invest money on this island should do research ON the thing for a few months then live here for a few months ,plan it out for a few months AND PAY FOR ADVICE ask for help from locals ..then at best i think maybe ,just maybe you got a shot to make a buck .maybe..I could right a book people who open a business here with just a dream .and the business lasts a FEW MONTHS THEN THEN THERE DREAM TURNS INTO A NIGHTMARE ..AND i HAVE BEEN OnLY COMMING HERE FOR 5 YEARS ..i DO NOT WANT TO SOUND NEGITIVE BUT THINK THIS THING ,OUT GET HELP ..do NOT MAKE IT PERSONAL..IT IS BUSINESS. THIS THE ISLAND CAN BE UNFORGIVING with out a proven thought out plan and good sound advice from lots of people who have lived here years ,..GOOD LUCK TO YOU ..

Last edited by captjeff; 11/10/08 10:36 PM.

Living The Dream Every Day!
P
P
Not just the island Jeff - Belize is unforgiving of dreamers.

They are treacherous waters here in Belize as well. You can only be legal as a subcontractor for a short period of time and by definition you will have to prove that you have multiple contracts, not just working for the same corporation.
Peter I don't know where you got the 40 percent figure from but that isn't correct, there are only two days that require you to pay double time and a half and that is only if the employee works the holiday, the rest of the days are at time and a half if the employee works the holiday. Holidays are New Years Day, Baron Bliss Day, Good Friday, Holy Saturday, Easter Monday, Labour Day, Sovereigns Day, National Day, Independence Day, Day of the Americas, Garifuna Settlement Day, Christmass Day, and Boxing Day.

Last edited by papashine; 11/11/08 08:34 AM.

Reality..What a concept!
A
A
According to the publication, Labor and You, by the Labour Department

There are three holidays, Christmas Day, Good Friday, and Easter Monday that require the employer to pay any employee that works these days, twice the ordinary rate of pay, plus a days pay as holiday pay. Triple Time

On the other public holidays, of which there are 10, require pay at 1 1/2 times the ordinary rate of pay, plus a days pay as holiday pay. Double and 1/2

It is interesting because although the law is clear, there is much confusion both with employees and employers

there is a small booklet that has the labor laws in it.
You can also probably find them on this site.
http://www.belizelaw.org/
I think they have to pay double time for over 45 hours too.
Mary Mooney

mary
I do the payroll for our camp. As we use software and I just input hours and it figures the rest. But taxes are only due if the employee makes over a certain amount, I belive 30K Belize. We have one emloyee in that category starting this year. We deduct about 10Bze per week, his SS deduction is around 14Bze per week and employer has to match that amount. Belize has some very good rules on the books for employees, much better than the US. Unortunately many employers do not abide by the rules.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 149 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,202
Posts500,025
Members20,466
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.