Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
The National Garifuna Council Dangriga Branch continues its activities for Garifuna Settlement Day. A tribute to the Garifuna artists will be held today at the Wadani Shed on the south side of Dangriga Town at 7pm: everyone is invited to attend and pay respect to our artists. Presently an Andy Palacio exhibition is at the Gulisi Museum at the Monument Site. The exhibition was opened yesterday at 2:30 pm and will end on the 23rd of November. During the opening ceremony Mr. Peter Ciego the curator at Gulisi Museum emphasized the importance of the exhibition because it tells the life story of Andy Palacio. Mr. Elon Palacio, President of the Andy Palacio foundation said that it is important to know about our national heroes because we are educated about heroes from other countries. Ordinary people like Andy Palacio, he said, become heroes because they have a message and can be taken as an example. He expressed the foundations support of the exhibition and emphasized the fact that the foundation exists to ensure that Andy Palacio's legacy lives on with the recognition he deserves. The guest speaker was Adrian"the doc" Martinez, a member of the Garifuna Collective and educator and Ecumenical College. He begun by expressing his disappointment about the fact that musicians were not at the opening. He applauded the exhibition and described Andy as a legend who many took for granted although he accomplished many great things as co-founder of the Garifuna Collective, Cultural Activist and Ambassador to name a few. The exhibition, he said, allows Andy's vision to come true because he was passionate about bringing Belizean music to the media and the World. He concluded by challenging everyone to advance the Garifuna Culture in Andy's memory because we are all left with the mandate to continue what he started , he said. The activities on November 12th are opening of Princess Royal Parka, adopted by Belize Telemedia Ltd. at 10am, and "Uraga Night" which is story telling at 7pm under the Wadani Shed. The National Garifuna Council expresses gratitude to all those who continue to support the activities. In other news, the first Stann Creek Scouts Sacred Heart Unit contributed three boxes of items to the Dangriga Red Cross for those affected by the flood. According to Scouts leaders Mr. Orlando Lucas and Mr. Carlton Sampson, the Scouts believe in the teaching of the scout laws which are a Scout shared with everyone and a scout is helpful to others. The unit has 40 members. Happy Celebrations Belize.

Love FM News

Garifuna Settlement Day,My calender says this is on the 19th.
I remember fondly my first exposure to this celebration.
I had never heard of it and one morning about 15 years back I got in my boat early and headed to San Pedro. Along the way I saw a small suspicious looking over crowed canoe out at the reef and went to discover what crazy people could all be in one little dugout so close to the reef at the crack of dawn.
Dressed in only banana leaf was a large muscular dark skinned man standing in the dugout. Dancing and more than just a little drunk He explained they where reenacting the Garifuna arriving. Aboard, also dressed in lone banana leaf was a drummer playing turtle shell drums and several topless women clicking rum bottles together to the rhythm, The large dancing man, I later became good friends with, Alfred Serrano.
Its a great holiday and more than wonderful of Belize to have it a national one.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
S
S
I still miss Al Serrano.

He did know how to party

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.