Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
since we are on the topic of food I have a question. Does anyone know the ingredients in recato paste? I have been cooking with it a lot lately and want to know if it is high in fat? I love cooking with it however I can figure out what it in it by the smell or taste.

M
M
AFAIK, there is no fat in it. Accordig to Wikipedia it includes annatto, Mexican oregano, cumin, clove, cinnamon, black pepper, allspice, garlic, and salt.

It's called "recado" not recato. In Mexican markets it's usually called achiote paste. It's a blend of spices, the main one being the red annatto (achiote) seeds, as well as oregano, cumin, clove, cinnamon, black pepper, allspice and garlic. The spices are ground and made into a paste. Different places use different liquids for the paste, water, vinegar, orange juice, etc.

I can never remember which is better . . . safe? . . . or sorry?
www.recipezaar.com

They spell it recaito

Ingredients

* 1 medium Spanish onion, cut into big chunks
* 8 garlic cloves, peeled
* 6 ajies dulces, hot peppers, cored, seeded, and cut into chunks or 1 cubanelle pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into chunks
* 4 leaves culantro (if you can't find culantro, increase the amount of cilantro by half)
* 1 cup packed fresh cilantro, stems and all, coarsely chopped

Directions

Place the onion and garlic in the work bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade.

With the motor running, add the remaining ingredients, one at a time and process, until the mixture is smooth.

Set aside the amount you need for the recipe you're preparing.
Pack the remaining recaito in �-cup portions in sealable plastic bags and store in freezer.

Notes

*** Ajices Dulces, also known as cachucha or ajicitos are tiny sweet peppers with a hint of heat. They range in color from light to medium green and yellow to red and orange. They add freshness and an herby note to anything you cook. Do not mistake them for Scotch bonnet or Habanero chilies (which they look like)--those two pack a wallop when it comes to heat.
7.*** Culantro is not cilantro. It has long leaves with tapered tips and serrated edges. When it comes to flavor, culantro is like cilantro times ten.

Change your Latitude
S
S
Recaito and recado are 2 different things

Thanks Shuffles and Jesse! That's what I was looking for. I know that what's in Belizean Recato (or Recado) paste is different than Mexican Recato/recado. I had googled it as well and only found the Mexican paste.

Thanks for the interesting info to compare to Mexico Leah Ann, fun to see how things can vary so much in two places so close.

Whatever it is, at the store I buy it from it is spelled "recato" but then again stores have the same things spelled multiple ways all the time here. Bottom line...not so worried about all the ingredients as much as knowing whether it had fat or not.

B
B
I bought all my meat from Chico's and was always happy with the quality. The hours are kind of challenging if I recall-I think closed from noon to 3 or 4. Great excuse though to sit across the street at Island Perk and have a few beers while waiting for the door to open!

JZB Offline
Sausage Factory!! If they don't have it, I don't need it.

Kel,

I am guessing that the ingredients are very similar in both.

Change your Latitude
really? great to know! My neighbor told me they are different pastes. I would not have guessed allspice, cinnamon, etc in what I'm using. Sometimes ya just can't tell huh! Thanks.

Have you tried the natural peanut butter from the greenhouse yet? I have been meaning to ask you. It is so delicious!

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 291 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.