Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#308995 11/05/08 10:15 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
We have been reliably informed by a well respected distributor that the new pump prices for fuels have been dramatically reduced by as much as US$1.50 per gallon for reg gas. See below. Wow! Awesome for our economy. Hope it stays there for a while. Beyond awesome.

New Belize City Pump prices as of 5 Nov:

$7.41 - Premium
$7.05 - Reg. Gas
$6.96 - Diesel

Trevor Vernon

Marty #309046 11/05/08 01:33 PM
New prices in Dangriga (Texaco) is as follows:

$7.55 - Premium
$7.19 - Reg. Gas
$7.11 - Diesel

This is SO good.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Gas prices plunge as much as 30% at the pumps

Adele Ramo, Amandala

Gas prices were one of the biggest gripes of Belizeans in the spate of protests in 2005, and so it was big news this morning when gas prices took a massive plunge from their burdensome 10-dollar mark, to a far more affordable $7 overnight-a price not seen in Belize for almost five years.

One consumer described the price shift as "a big relief," and many drivers were celebrating the fact that they could now get more at the pumps out of their hard-earned dollars.

With changes that took effect at midnight last night, the price of a gallon of Premium is now $7.41 in Belize City, and $7.66 in Punta Gorda - one of the municipalities that see the highest pump prices in the country.

Belize has not seen prices in this range since 2003/2004. Amandala's archival data indicates that in June 2004, for example, the price of a gallon of Premium was $8.05, while Regular gas was tagged at $7.91. In December 2003, Premium gas was $7.34 a gallon; in April 2004, it was $7.94 a gallon.

Prices shot past the $11-dollar mark in July/August this year, when Diesel reached an oppressive $11.74.

When King's Service Station in Punta Gorda opened this morning, they were able to roll back the prices from yesterday's high of $10.35 for a gallon of Regular gas to $7.29. In Belize City, Esso Super Station was selling a gallon of Regular gas for $3.06 cheaper than it was yesterday, while kerosene prices were down by $2.38, now tagged at $6.79.

The most notable change since pump prices fell off their extraordinary highs in August is in the price of Diesel - a very important fuel for the productive sector. Of note is that the price of Diesel has nosedived 40%. Amandala has received reports from service stations that Diesel is now $6.96 a gallon in Belize City and $7.21 in Punta Gorda.

On the world market, crude oil prices continue to swing like a haphazard pendulum, for every reason from slowing demand to renewed confidence in the US dollar due to Barack Obama's milestone victory. But still, crude oil prices are more than 50% lower than they were when they peaked at US$147 a barrel in July this year.

Consequently, gas prices fell more than 40% at pumps in the US following summer's record highs.

Belize Prime Minister Dean Barrow said publicly this week that the pump prices have been buffered by the replacement of the Revenue Replacement Duty (RRD) with a new flat tax.

Amandala's attempts to get detailed information on the breakdown of what makes up the new pump prices, including acquisition costs and taxes, from the Ministry of Economic Development, the Ministry of Finance and the Bureau of Standards have so far proved futile.

This afternoon the Government issued a press release [not on GOB website], informing of the decline in pump prices. It says that the price revision is "�in keeping with government's commitment to pass on in full any decrease in the acquisition cost to the Belizean consumers."

It adds that any further changes in acquisition costs would, similarly, be passed on at the pumps.

Marty #310201 11/12/08 09:07 AM
This could improve diving in the whole country. One of... or I can say, the biggest consideration dive shops have when choosing sites is gas mileage. This could free us to visit remote sites that are more pristine.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
elbert #312811 11/29/08 12:44 PM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
from a friend yesterday...

I was shocked beyond belief again today as gas prices was forced down another buck a gallon. Pleasantly surprised. The prices on water taxi fares and taxis fares have gone down. Praise be to Allah!

Pump prices are down over 50% since a month ago. I am happy. The fishermen and tour operators are elated. The commuters to San Pedro and Caye Caulker are super excited. The passengers on the boats from PG and Big creek to Puerto Cortes & Puerto Barrios are very happy as well. Bus commuters? I dont know if those fares have gone down.

The government's take on taxes from fuels which were about 100% under the previous government is now only about 50% of the previous take. That i like. No more bleeding of the poor people.

I am happy that for once the pols are living up to their word and easing the masses of the people.

I pumped 60 buxx of fuel today and got over 10 gallons compared to the 5.X gallons i got for the same 60 buxx a year ago.

Marty #312814 11/29/08 12:49 PM
rubbish fuel is 7.5 bzd per gallon and last year it was around 10.00 bzd per gallon -do the math-
today 10 times 7.5 is 75 bzd for 10 gallons today
last year approx 10.00 bzd per gallon is 100bzd for ten gallons (Ithink last year fuel was actually 9.00 per gallon) anyway taxes have not been changed

Pedro1 #312821 11/29/08 01:30 PM
Buy a lot of gas do you, peter.
Blue hole price dropped $20.usd.p.p. That is down for the first time in 11 years.

White Sands Dive Shop
elbert #312829 11/29/08 02:22 PM
Elbert -gas has dropped and I buy a, lot of gas and diesel-three golf carts one excavator one back hoe two boats three generators and one truck
my point was Oh! honoured one,at this stage I will bow scrape and grovel to one of my lord and master admistrators that Marty's friend cannot do simple math,and that taxes have not dropped

Pedro1 #312837 11/29/08 03:14 PM
The world gas prices are still going down but were paying the price paid relative to the last barge to fill the tanks on the island. We learned that last month. Next week or so when the barge comes again the price is very likely to go down again reflecting the prices in the rest of the world.
I would wait to fill up your golf carts you might save a bundle.

White Sands Dive Shop
elbert #312838 11/29/08 03:19 PM
I will explain gas does not go down on the island when the barge arrives -fuel goes down when they replenish the tanks in Belize port-simple really

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.