Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
OP Offline
karmin loveeeeeeees to travel. she gets the best of both worlds. She has a sweeeeet as can be rotty boyfriend in the states too.

T
T
haha she's burnin the candle at both ends huh

I was reading your post about the expired sedative for your dog,it should be fine. I am a nurse and learned most meds have a long shelf life,usually much longer than the one printed on the container. The FDA makes the manufacturer put a date on everything I wouldn't worry about it. You can also use Benadryl that is what I use for my dog and it works great. He is a hyper little thing too, he is a rat terrier always on the go, my lab was way way more calmer. hope this helps.good have a safe trip.

love like you've never been hurt, work like you don't need the money,dance like no one is watching
S
S
Yes - just lose potency over time (heat also accelerates the process), so the pills are not harmful, just not as strong. I keep all of my animal meds in the freezer and they are good forever smile

SnoopysMom #313084 12/01/08 09:37 AM
P
P
Real Deal. If you don't have dogs yet consider getting them in country, rather than importing more. Lots of great dogs here need homes and they've already got a Belize imune system going that foreign dogs don't. Local Pot Lickers are tough and will survive much better than a foreign pedigree, especially on the mainland.

Phil #313359 12/02/08 07:14 PM
T
T
Hi Phil,

Thanks for the thought. I know your absolutely correct. One of the best dogs I ever had as a kid was a short pot hound, lived to a ripe old age...
My wife is the one who wants the Corgi's we will try with them the best we can and see how it goes,

OP Offline
thanks Cheryl and Snoopy and thank you for the well wishes for traveling. We made it no problems. Water taxi ride was interesting. Karmin was already drowsey and she was bouncing all over the place since it was rough. So I had her on my lap most of the way which is hillarious since she is exactly half my weight!

I have given her benedryl in the past and it definately doesn't do much for her and isnt nearly as strong as she needs for flying. Turned out I found one last pill I had from when we were last in the US and gave her that.

Phil has a great suggestion on the dogs. Good thinking.
[Linked Image]

Don't give your dogs any sedatives before flying. It is the number one cause of fatalities during pet travel, and all sane vets are strongly recommending against it.
I know that i.e. American Airlines will not take your dog if it is sedated.

And please, save a local dog instead of importing one.

Glad to hear all went well for you,I hope that in the near future Karmin,and my boy Rico can meet up and run around together he is in need of a girlfriend even though he is fixed.
But he needs a good guide to teach him the ins and outs of the Island.enjoy your time in the states,and have a safe trip back.

love like you've never been hurt, work like you don't need the money,dance like no one is watching
cherylvalentine #313446 12/03/08 09:51 AM
OP Offline
Weile, Karmin has flown at least 8 times. I would never fly her without the sedative, she'd kill herself before the plane took off trying to get out and beat on the metal door. Without the sedative she bangs on the kennel and metal door and her paws start bleeding before she's even on the plane. I assume she'd be more likely to hurt herself if not on the sedative. The sedative should not increase the risk of fatalities. In fact both of my vets highly recommend Karmin taking it. I could not imagine my Karmin having to travel 12 hours without it. Honestly being in that small box if there was an emergency there is nothing she could do about it whether she was drosey or fully alert, but I don't even want to think about this topic or discuss it further.

As for American, I have flown her numerous times and they have no problem with my dog being on a sedative.

Thanks again Cheryl.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 287 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.