Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses
BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
A few Caye Caulker residents got an early Christmas today with free Belikin Beer, Crystal Water, Coca Cola, and Belize Aquaculture Shrimp after a Bowen and Bowen barge nearly capsized between Caye Caulker and San Pedro early this morning.

Bruce Bowen, who owns the barge which is named "Belikin," pulled by a tug called Marsha, told us that it left Belize City last night loaded with 9 trailers worth of product at about 9:00 a.m. and headed into an unusually strong northwest breeze. Those rough seas proved too much as the barge navigated waters between Caye Caulker and San Pedro this morning at about 3:00 a.m.

The rough seas splashed over the bow and filled 2 inspection hatches at the front of the boat, causing it to keel precariously. That made it lopsided and the weight of the cargo pushed against the railing, breaking it, and sending possibly as much as 400 and 500 crates of product tumbling into the sea. Also included in the lost cargo were 13 industrial sized iceboxes with shrimp valued at - get this - about $1,000 per icebox.

Didn't take long for Caye Caulker residents to get a sense of what happened and this morning boat owners crowded the area - diving in to salvage what they could. There are reports that some made off with as much as 20 cases of beer. Others report finding blocks of shrimp.

But all was not lost from the barge. Though it keeled to one side, it did not capsize and Bowen managed to pump out the water logged hatches and right it. It has since been pulled safely to San Pedro minus a good amount of the cargo. Bowen told us that it will be a few days before he is able to tally all the losses. He stressed that as the agent, the losses are his, not Bowen and Bowen's - the bottling giant owned by his brother, Barry.

Channel 7

D
D

It's nice that no one got hurt and there's cheer for the taking.

I think I see swimmers and boaters heading in that direction from AC smile

Last edited by NYgal; 12/03/08 09:45 AM.
We could ask barn, hes and expert but i think a case of belikin would sink instead of float, in which case i think some search and recovery dives with local Divemasters would be in progress.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Oh, the humanity!

Now live from beautiful downtown San Pedro.
My Divemasters tell me Cay Caulker is drunk. I said ....what else is new.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
LOL Elbert! How true!!!

Change your Latitude
Who has got pics??

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

(sorry for this but) WHY DIDN'T THIS HAPPEN LAST WEEK? WHY? WHY? WHY?

But why eat my vegetables I already know that I am short!
www.carbunkletrumpet.wordpress.com
AMEN - and we just thought we had "perfect" diving in October! I would have had Genie take us to the beer store.

Play, Love, Share and Enjoy - it doesn't last forever make sure you get the most out of it.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 268 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day