Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
This is my first of hope to be many questions.
My wife and I hope to move by 2010. Considering the current cost of living , if we rent for a while to get our bearings, could we live comfortably for 3,000.00 U.S. Monthly.

I know this is a loaded question, but our expectations are middle of the road in accomodations.

Hoping to move to Belize by 2010.
Will bring my wife Nancy and both Dog and Cat.
P
P
I would have thought so. Not luxuriously, but comfortably.

P
P
Also depends a lot on where in Belize you mean. If here in San Pedro cost of living is much more than PG for example.

Hard to know what costs people are factoring in when they make this kind of budget.

Three areas of cost that vary widely person by person and can really affect an annual budget are:
medical insurance
house insurance (if you rent you won't pay this)
travel

I just spent 3 months in San Pedro and the cost averaged $2500 US per month.....now keep in mind that we own our place and we were in a "vacation" mode. That figure doesn't include our power bill when down there which is about $200 US per month....running A/C 24/7. If we lived down there full time, I estimate it would take $2.000 US per month.....NOT in vacation mode.

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
I think the biggest questions are:
How much alcohol do you drink on a daily basis?
How many packs of cigarettes do you smoke?
How often do you expect to eat in NICE restaurants?
Do you expect to eat meat other than chicken or fish?
Can you get buy on local cheeses and packaged food or do you require USA named brands?
What are your hobbies and how much do they cost on a monthly basis. It is very important to have something to do to keep yourself amused rather than sitting in a sea side bar. That is fine for visitors but gets very expenisve if you live here.
It can be done and enjoyably so - just know yourself.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
OP Offline
Thank you for the information. My goal is to visit Belize this spring. We will of course over the next few years Vacation there.
When we move we will rent for the first year as we get our residency status moving along. I have hopes of local travel and photography of the region. I will be 50 when we move. I hope to start a new life with my wife here. My needs are few , but I still will need T.V. and internet access. I want to enjoy the local life style of Americans living there. I do not smoke and drink very little, but I do love to eat and cook. I do look forward to bringing a automobile and Sailboat.

I am in no hurry to buy.

I am a audiophile and hope to find more locals that share my own interest.

My wife and I are looking at Costa Rica and Panama also but so far Belize has them beat. I like the idea of be able to drive my own car to this country.

P
P
An automobile won't do you much good on AC.

I also am/was an audiophile, depending on your meaning of that word.

OP Offline
Hello Peter,

As of yet , I do not know exactly where I will live in Belize.

I do know that I will travel in the surrounding region and still want to travel by automobile.

My Audio hobbie extends to collection of records. I have thousands. My friend has a large store in oklahoma. I go to several record conventions yearly. Austin Texas is probley the largest in the U.S. I have a large network of friends that collect.

I also collect audio equipment.
I will bring my system but have transferred alot to music servers and the old ipod. I have several good headphone amplifiers . I am into tube equipment also.

I have been an avid collector for 20 years. I am only 46 now.
I listen to 60,70's and some 80's music. I like jazz and blues.
My current interest is Funk 70"s music.

I spend most of my day listening to music now.

Is there much of a Audiophile Community in Belize?

Thanks, for taking time to respond to my Post.

P
P
Our musical tastes are probably quite different, but then mine are generally regarded as quite esoteric. Never heard of an audiophile community here. I only have around 1000 LPs, but many of those are deleted and/or historic recordings. I daren't bring them here as the humid salt environment will destroy them all too quickly. I'd like to digitise them, but that takes so long!

Incidentally, unless you keep your gear in a closely climate-controlled environment none of it will last long. You'd be amazed how quickly electronics degrade in this environment. If you value the gear, only bring it if you KNOW you can adequately protect it.

In terms of equipment, I have virtually nothing here. My equipment back in the UK is fairly high end, but of course all running off 240v. It includes a couple of broadcast-quality DAT recording decks, with Revox reel-to-reel recorder, Nakamichi compact cassette recorder, SME/Ortofon/Thorens and other record-playing gear, Quad amps etc. I also had quite expensive mikes & portable mixers, and did a lot of live recording. My biggest investment was a pair of Quad Electrostatic speakers, unbelievably rewarding to listen to in a proper listening room (which I used to have), but I decided they certainly wouldn't survive the environment and very sadly sold them.

I don't find this environment conducive to listening to music, being too hot and humid, so I don't do much of it. That's "listening" as opposed to "having on as background", which I've always hated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.