Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#315355 12/19/08 09:39 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Can anyone tell me about the new company that rents boats that you can drive yourself? Are they open? Do they require a captain's license? We have guests coming in and need activities. Any information would be appreciated. THANKS

Is this what you are thinking of?
http://www.bookitbelize.com/funtasea

These boats were operating and looked beautiful all in a row out on the water, in late November. Looked like fun.

Dare To Deviate
S
OP Offline
S
yes - thanks so much!

According to the Belize Port Authority, you must have a captain's license to drive any powered boat (including jet ski)at all, and any other kind of boat that is "bigger than a fishing dory".

S
S
Funtasea has special permission to allow non-licensed operators if they have licensed guides in accompanying boats.

I hope the have more luck than Jungle Tours a few years back; they had tourists crash into everything, from the Mangrove to the Island Ferry.

Live and let live
S
OP Offline
S
Any idea if there is an age limit? My nephew is 12 - he would be thrilled to drive a boat (also a golf cart!)...

T
T
You should have a normal drivers permit to drive a golf cart, the police do spot checks every now and then.

S
S
We now have 4 roving traffic wardens 7 days a week instead of the police check points.

My son is 16 and has a US drivers lic. He looks younger than his age and gets stopped by the wardens every time he's out in a cart. I have to make sure he takes his wallet and lic with him every time.

A twelve y/o will get stopped even if you're in the cart.

Future full time Belizeans
Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
In Belize you don't qualify for a drivers license until you are 18 years old. You must be a licensed driver even to drive a golf cart on the public roads. Remember there golf carts are operating around heavy duty dump trucks, a few speeding pick ups, there are dogs and kids darting out all over the place and it is the law.

Of course if a young adult has a valid driver's license from another country the license will be accepted here.

There is an age limit for driving water craft too - I think it might be 18 also. It many not be "fair" but it would be wise to comply.

I will say while I did enjoy it I am not a driver and so it may appeal to some more than others in that respect. Was happy to sit in passenger seat while Lara drove. (never had a license and likely why I ended up living on an island where I walk a lot)

I do think because there was no alcohol involved, that there is less chance for accidents and the guides did keep a watch on us the day we went out.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 300 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.