Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#315526 12/21/08 05:39 PM
F
OP Offline
F

Hey beach bums,

Is there decent (read: reef quality) snorkeling anywhere off the coast of Ambergris, or does one need a boat to get to the good stuff? I know the reef is a good 1/2 off the coast--are there any fantastic walk-in spots from the shore?

- B

Island Films | www.islandfilms.bz
K
K
Many places have kayaks that you can use to get to the reef and snorkel. Also some docks are great places to snorkel around. It is not advised to swim to the reef - it is the major throughfare for the boats and it is hard to see swimmers.

I asked a similar question prior to my first visit and got similar vague answers like above. Must be in the water wink

The straight answer is no. Sand, grass, and fairly shallow. No bottom structure.

Way up north where the reef touches the land, Rocky Point area, the answer is yes.

I wouldn't take a kayak out there either unless you're again pretty far north. Reef is closer (1/4 mile at Belize Legacy resort, 7 miles north) and a lot fewer boats.

I hope that someday we can put aside our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.
I agree with Skippy. Snorkelling from shore or off a dock is a waste of time and effort. Some docks have roped off areas at the end that are very small, maybe 20'x20', and there is nothing to see.

Moose Keep an open mind and something good may fall in.
There are a few pretty good walk in spots - and some other easy access ones .........

Robles - the picnic area / it also has a walk-in sandy beach

Mata Grande - between Los Encantos and Caye Villas there are some good spots - enter water from Los Encantos pier - take a float/marker to be sure passing boats know you are there

Tranquility Bay - coral heads are "right there" maybe 100 feet from the beach

The Turtle-man's house sits infront of a glorious bed of coral that almost comes to the shoreline

Mata Grande - you can kayak 1/4 mile to the reef and find excellent snorkeling

Some piers have mini-reefs under them attracting mini-reef fish and also having sea horses. Caribbean Villas used to have one - not sure if it's still happening.

Ramones is making an artificial reef - and though I have not been there in a while I always had a great time snorkeling there and there is enough to see while feeling like you will not get in the way of boats.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

P
P
Snorkelling under a well-established dock with wooden supports and not too much boat traffic can be a rewarding experience. Look out for tiny sea horses.

The eel grass areas can be very interesting to snorkel over. There are some very interesting critters there. For almost a year I snorkeled around the dock at Amigos Del Mar and watched some incredible fish grow up as I watched. The dock under Wet Willy's has a lot of fish and when I used to swim across to the dock just north I found different life forms (once found a Scorpion Fish there). The important thing is to slow down and look closely. The sand and eel grass beds are full of life.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
AND be very aware of the boat traffic near the coast and the piers. Some of them are distracted with guests, and figuring out where they will maneuver to park - and snorkelers are tough to spot - we get a person or 2 run over each year - don't let one of them be you.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 283 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.