Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Long in the making, this field guide was finalized through the funding from Community Management of Protected Areas Conservation Programme (COMPACT). It was an effort by many that made the fruition of the guide a reality. However, at the forefront of it was Director of Green Reef Mito Paz, had for years the dreams of printing a guide such as this one. With many great things being shaken up at Bacalar Chico, the manual came at an apropos time. With many more visitors to the area, students, professors and tourists, A Field Guide to the Natural History of Bacalar Chico National Park and Marine Reserve will certainly prove to be highly informative.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This important guide will be officially launched on Sunday, December 21st, 2008 at Rico's Bar and Grill at 3:00 p.m. All are cordially invited and books will be available for purchase then.

http://sanpedrosun.blogspot.com/

I have a copy and it is AWESOME....Mito did an excellent job.

Change your Latitude
Will they be available to buy on-line?

love like you've never been hurt, work like you don't need the money,dance like no one is watching
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
[Linked Image] With the intentions of educating the public on the importance of this great natural reserve and to further promote the area as a tourist attraction, Director of Green Reef, Mito Paz officially launched the 400-plus field guide to the Bacalar Chico Natural Reserve. The book launch took place at Rico's Bar and Grill on Sunday, December 21, 2008.

It took over two years to full accomplish and with a sigh of relief, Mito Paz was glad to launch the book that is filled with powerful and important information that teaches more about the importance of the natural reserve that has been designated a World Heritage Site.

Honorable Manuel Heredia was on hand to launch the book and was handed the first autographed copy of the guide by Mr. Paz. "The book is ideal for students to learn about the area and for local tourist guides to use as a handbook in their tours," commented Mito. "I highly recommend the guide to just about everyone. It had great wealth of information, which includes vivid pictures of the flora and fauna of the area."

The guide contains history of Bacalar which is located at the northern-most end of Ambergris Caye, bordering Chetumal, Mexico. The area encompasses a total of 28,169 acres, a third of it consisting of water in the form of lagoons, creeks, salt marsh and wetlands. Vivid pictures include that of the many animal and plants that inhabit the area.

The field guide was finalized through funding from the Community Management of Protected Areas Conservation Program (COMPACT) and is available at the Hol Chan Marine Reserve Office located on Caribe�a Street. For more information on the Bacalar Chico Reserve you can also log in at www.bacalarchico.org, but for an in-depth study of the reserve, the book is a must by.

*Milk chocolate: Belizean cane sugar, organic cocoa butter, organic cocoa liquor, milk powder, organic vanilla and soy lecithin. [Milk chocolate usually contains up to 45%.]

Ambergristoday.com

Almost unbelievable book! And only $50 BZ. Hopefully every dive master and tour guide working in Belize will have one in their hands every time they take people anywhere. I purchased one for my favorite dive instructor (Everette of Belize Diving Adventures) as a Christmas gift and one for my daughter here from OC in California. I have started reading mine and it is as interesting as any novel.

On Monday, with our books in hand, Everette took just the two of use on a tour around the islands. First we went down by Caye Caulker to fish and snorkel. We cut through the channel where South Beach is proposed to begin. I was shocked to find out that it is mostly water with stands of mangrove here and there. When people talk of swamp (which is what they call that area) I think of soggy land. There is NO LAND THERE. If South Beach is allowed to dredge and fill there it will be a shame.

Then we went up inside the lagoon and visited some beautiful islands. We were able to identify various trees and birds. We had a delicious beach (what the locals call) Bar-B-Q.

It was surprising to find many little islands with a handful of houses or a resort on each. Why it is all called Ambergris Caye I don't know and why all of Ambergris Caye is called San Pedro Town is a mystery to me. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

Then we came all the way back down to enter the channel through the back side of town. This was one wonderful full day. I learn more about this amazing place all the time.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Thanks for the book review Harriette. I will certainly be getting one on my next visit.
As well, I will also be getting the new San Pedro cookbook! smile

Cheers, Gail cool

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 276 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.