Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
OP Offline
G
Well thanks to everyone...
I need a bike for when I am there Jan. 3rd. thru Jan. 12th.
Peter recommended me buying a bike for that period... I am fine with that as long as the cost is competitive to a rental. So what I need is for some help on letting me know what bike rental rates are per day and if someone has a bike to sell, let me know and the cost. Peter also said that if I buy a bike I should bring my own lock as they are not readily available on the Island. Do I need to do this as I will have to go buy one this week?
Also if anyone would be willing to borrow me there bike for the week it would be most appreciated. Or willing to rent at a discounted rate?

Thanks!
Nick

Last edited by Greenthumb; 12/29/08 02:57 PM.
S
S
Keep it simple. Rent a bike after you get here. It will come with a lock. No muss, no fuss.

Bike Rentals:
All beach bike rentals include a:

beach basket
lock
Prices range from $6-$12 per day depending on length of rental. Contact us by email to reserve your bikes before you arrive!

Future full time Belizeans
Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
There was my nice post.

Here's my devil's advocate post.

You want to move to AC and "start a business" but....
first visit without wife and kids in tow and looking for "cheap" or "discounted" travel / accomodations is not a good way to start.

Island life is expensive. Unique and potentially successful business ideas will NOT be jumping out at you on arrival.

If moving there and starting a successful business was an option then virtually ALL of the non-local posters on this board would move there today.

My suggestion, visit with the family first. Explore being a transplant second.

We all want to be transplants there. Most of us have yet to come up with a financially feasable way to make the dream a reality.

Last edited by Belize-N-Us; 12/29/08 05:11 PM.

Future full time Belizeans
Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
S
S
In other words...if you gotta worry about the small stuff, like the cost of a bike rental...you shouldn't be coming here.

E
E
Why on earth would anyone want to move to SP and start a business ? If you wish to move there and retire, be sure your bank account can cover your wish's. Other wise, stay where you are until you can afford the move. I see a diaster in the making. JMHO.

P
P
Some sound comments here.

G
OP Offline
G
Thanks all,
First, as a family we have talked a lot about this and had plenty of complete(Including extended family) meetings on this.
Secondly, I am currently a business owner and it is not that I am worried about the cost of a bike rental, but if you do not pay extra close attention to those small things and expenses it will drive you bankrupt. Take your own house hold budgets for example. If most of you would create an excel spread sheet on all that you spend money on, you may find that the largest percentage of moines going out per month are on those little extras that you pick up at the store or that extra beer or two or more that you order at the bar and pay for it the next morning when you could be could do just fine on less. Now do not get me wrong I know because I am guilty of doing those exact things. I know exactly what my monthly fixed expenses are here at home and yet last summer I always seemed to be short of what I thought I should have. Went back and looked at records and found that in any given month I had spend $500 plus dollars on eating out, gas station drinks and snacks, coffee shop stops, etc.
So all I am doing right now is trying to put a budget together as what the trip will cost. Also, my wife was planning on coming and we are not happy that it did not work out, although it is not that easy to find someone to take 3 kids ages 6,5,1 for 1 or 2 weeks. Especially since most of our friends already have 2 or more kids, adding 3 more and that will just send you to the loony farm. Melissa is planning a trip down there with her Mom around the last week of Feb or First week of March. So that is also going to cost extra as it would have been less expensive for us to go together. If you do not at least try to make a dream a reality, than what is the point in having that Dream!
As for affording the move.. I compare it to the old analogy that we have heard from so many, and that is, you should wait to have kids till you can afford it...ha... If most did that, I believe we would be turning 80 before our kids were graduating High School and when and how do you know that you are every ready. For most the more you have the more you want, than you can always carry that excuse that I am not ready.. There is no guarantee that this is or will work out for us, but we must try to find out.
I do not plan on starting a business there, I am interested in buying an existing business and have been watching a few that I am interested in.

But, again I appreciate all the comments, it is good to have those devil advocates, they are the ones that will help us succeed in what we are looking for. I do not wish to move there and retire, already used to working 14-17 hour days. And it stinks! I think 10-12 is enough.

Thanks Much!
Nick

E
E
... and unfortunately we are too young to think about retiring!!!
I agree with what my husband said. I really wanted to go down with him (and reign him in if he gets too excited) but we have so little family members that can watch our kids and like he said, most of our really good friends already have multiple kids (and cars that wont fit any extra).

Melissa
AKA: Mrs. Greenthumb
E
E
I quit

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 314 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.