Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Hey - I even thanked Reef Village for grading the road and the newspaper picked it up and ran it. LOL

A lot of nice people have bought into Reef Village. The villas look really nice and are back away from the road. The condo units sit right on the road and they have now started the 2nd story of the latest condo and my view of the lagoon is completely gone.

But hey - I heard an owner at Reef Village complain that the Cloisters has blocked their ocean view. What's that old saying about coming around? LOL

Connie - once you move here I'm sure you will want to be concerned about the environment and over development too. There are eco friendly ways to build and then there are destructive practices.

There is so much construction going on here you would short change yourself if you made any decisions on what you learn without being here. This message board is full of wonderful advice, especially to people who are coming as tourists. As investors - buyers beware - the thorn in my side may turn into a vine that strangles you.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
CONTROVERSIAL-Phil Sapphire Beach is not this -it is a great project designed to make lots of money-the salesman told me so

"Belize N Us do you have any reccommendations"

He and several others have done just that. Come here. Period. You are way ahead of yourself. Just come here. Everything you think will probably change once you are here. Maybe not but it's pretty likely.

I hope that someday we can put aside our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.
Just as skippy said and I said earlier.

I, like you wanted beach property. I, like you decided Florida wasn't an option for us.

I researched and visited mutiple places in the Bahamas, Mexico and Belize. I researched but did not visit Panama and Costa Rica.

In the Bahamas we liked Eleuthera the best. Beach front was available at a reasonable price. The water on the Caribbean side is beautiful, warm and calm most days. The diving all over the Bahamas is great. The hang up is the need to be a pilot and own your own plane for the "out islands" of the Bahamas to be very practicle for the "working folks". I no longer own a plane and that's not likely to change in the near future.

Mexico, huge with too much coastline to visit but a very small sampling but we LOVED Sayulita a small fishing village north of Porta Vallarta on the Pacific. Problems there: #1 the check book couldn't handle it, #2 no beach front property only beach front houses with huge price tags, #3 as a foreigner you can't acutually own beach front property there (it's basically a long term lease as far as the government is concerned).

Belize: easy for us to get to, #2 beach front property at reasonable prices, #3 English is the primary language, #4 English common law property rights, #5 LOVED A.C. the people, the environment, the diving, ect. ect.

Panama : ? stable government

Costa Rica : squater's land rights, met with a laywer who bought a buch of coastal property there with his group then "lost" it to the government, claimed it was "reclaimed", lost their $ and their property with no recoarse.

You gotta spend some time and money visiting the places that you think you want to either invest in or become a part of. #1 it's fun, #2 it's educational, #3 there's no other way to know if the place is right for your desires / needs.

So just jump out there and start having fun while getting educated.

P.S. Distance from BZE is of no importance. You can fly pretty much anywhere in Belize in 20 - 30 min in one of the very slow Caravans.

Last edited by Belize-N-Us; 01/11/09 05:15 PM.

Future full time Belizeans
Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
S
S
One of the spots we also looked at was the Bahamas out islands, especially Eleuthera and Abaco. Beautiful but very hard to get to, especially using frequent flyer miles, and just not as fun or interesting as AC. Not as many good restaurants either.

It's nice to know we're not the only ones who have searched far and near for the retirement/second home place. Our search was more northeast- British Virgin Islands, US Virgin Islands, Grand Cayman, Bahamas(out islands and Providence too.) Connie, I am sure you will have a wonderful time shopping around Belize for your place in the sun. Enjoy the journey no matter where you end up.

Restaurants are sparse on some of the out islands in the Bahamas.

Restaurants are plentiful and awesome on AC as well as great bars, bands ect.

Like I said, after a great deal of research, talking to others, and a fair amount of travel deciding to purchase on AC was easy for us and we still feel good about that decision.

Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
T
T
Wow . Tommy I didn't know you had thoroughly been threw the best the Caribbean .Saint Croix and then The Virgins islands have been paved, and is now pretty dangerous. I miss the West Indies, but man it's a long trip flying (boy we did have fun).Belize wins, hands down now for us !
Tommy you nailed it with your investment comparisons.Connie, Continue with your research and find the place you enjoy ,and hopefully; they will meet your goals Socially and financially .

Last edited by Tim Callanan; 01/11/09 07:18 PM. Reason: gooffed
We just scratched the surface of the Caribbean.

Some places were not considered due to property prices, Caymans and Virgin Isles for example.

Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
S
S
Yes, Cayman and the Virgins, especially the US are VERY expensive and definitely not doable for us for beach front, but it was when we were sitting in a Pizza Hut for god sakes on Grand Cayman(I can explain, we had children with cravings ...) that I knew that we would never buy on an island with any US fast food joint. It was also after a delicious lunch with a very nice, although quirky, AC realtor and the lunch had been made in a backroom of a small AC market, that was when I decided that AC was it for us.

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 165 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.