Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Connie M #317499 01/07/09 12:59 PM
yes, but most take the whole day, and you must travel by both boat & road to get there. it's kind of part of the adventure, and (i think) worth it.

optionally - i adore spending a few days on the mainland. it is a totally different experience than a day trip.

whatever you choose, enjoy!

Connie M #317501 01/07/09 01:11 PM
P
P
To the northern sites (Altun Ha & Lamania) very easily by boat - day trips. To the western sites such as Xunantunich, Cahal Pech or ATM you get to Belize City first, probably by air, and then continue by road. Also day trips. The southern sites are too far away for a day trip.

C
C
Thanks for the info.
By the way would anybody like some snow. We are willing to share, really we have more than enough to go around. smile

Connie M #317521 01/07/09 01:55 PM
P
P
Love some! You'll need to package it quite well though. Could you also bring a mountain, so we can introduce Belizean downhill skiing?

C
C
Belizean down hill skiing, now that would be interesting. That's right up there with the Jamaican bob sled team.
The mountain may be a bit tricky, I live in Southern Ontario, Canada. You'll have to talk to some of the posters from Western Canada, they have all the mountains.
It started snowing here late last night and hasn't stopped since.
I shouldn't complain they have it far worse on the West coast. But we Canadians love to complain about the weather it's our National pass time.
All I know is June can't come fast enough.

Connie M #317594 01/07/09 07:12 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Don't talk to me about snow... that may be the reason I don't arrive in AC tomorrow. :-( A hundred or so flights were cancelled out of Toronto today and the snow is continuing through the night (lucky me having to get up at 1:30 to catch the bus) so I fully expect to get to the airport tomorrow to find out my 6am flight has been significantly delayed or outright cancelled.

On that note... for charter flights that only arrive/leave one day a week, if my flight gets cancelled and doesn't make it down, does that mean the people who flew down last week and would be using my plane to fly back home get stranded? Lucky buggers if that's the case.

But to ruins... My first to to Belize was actually a 2 week trip... 9 days on AC, then a few days in Flores/Tikal and then the final 3 days or so in San Ignacio, which is a much better base to do most of the inland tours. At least for the ones I did, it ended up being cheaper to stay in San Ignacio for a few days and do all the tours than it was to stay on the island and do them from there.

Ruins aren't essential for this trip, but thought if I had some extra time it might be nice to do one that's not too far away (i.e. as easy to do from the island as from a mainland base). Thanks for all the input on the different companies! Hopefully the snow will stop long enough my flight can take off tomorrow and I'll get to try some of them out.

Hey Littleegine.. Not to worry because you are on a charter it is highly unlikely that your flight will be cancelled. Delayed is certainly possible but not cancelled because as you said, they have to get the other passengers back home to TO.
Enjoy your trip. We will be thinking of you and counting down the days till it's our turn. (I keep hoping the flights will go on sale for Feb!
Gail cool

C
C
Hope your flight makes it out. I live in Oshawa so we have the same wonderful white stuff here. You've been to Tikal? What's it like? That's one place I would give my eye teeth to see.

The weather should clear soon, have a good trip.

Connie M #317991 01/10/09 02:25 PM
M
M
I've used Daniel at Tanisha Tours, and I've been to Tikal (but not with Daniel -- via a driver hired through Katie Valk, who is also wonderful!).

I cannot say enough good things about Daniel. He gives you a quality experience because he honestly, deeply cares about the animals and birds you see on his trips, and because he cares, he's very knowledgable about them. And he spends a lot of time explaining things -- you can tell, it's not just about getting the tour over with for him. Also, the food he provided at Lamanai was so delicious, I'm still thinking about it a year later! If there were ever a choice, I would definitely go with Tanisha Tours. He was good to my mother and her friend, too, when they had trouble with the hiking, and took the time to take care of us during our two tours with Tanisha. We felt safe with Daniel, and he was excellent company, too.

Regarding Tikal...YOU MUST GO! I've been there twice because the first time was not nearly enough. It's got to be one of the most magical places on earth. Also, if you want to see animals like foxes, howler monkeys, and coatis, this is the greatest place because they have no fear of people at all. Unless you hate history, you'd be crazy to pass up a chance to see Tikal -- it's absolutely breath-taking.

C
C
Thanks for the info. I've seen a few documentarys on Tikal. I've always had an interest in Archaeology. Growing up I always wanted to be an archaeologist. Closest I've ever gotten was winning a Ticket to see the King Tut exhibit in 1979 when it was in Toronto.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.