Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#316815 - 01/03/09 04:39 PM Transport From Belize City
NCVisitor Offline
Arriving Belize City by air around 2 pm on a Sunday. Can anyone tell me the best way to get to Ambergris Caye? Thinking of ferry over and then air on return (time is tight on return). How far,how long does it take and how to get from International Airport to the Ferry? Or, perhaps just go Tropic air both ways.
Thanks for advice.
NC Visitor

#316821 - 01/03/09 05:59 PM Re: Transport From Belize City [Re: NCVisitor]
colomojo Offline
Go Tropic both ways! It may cost more but it is so worth it. There are a lot of other posts regarding this so you can find more info - it's more of a pain to take the ferry and takes so much more time to get from Int'l to Municipal to ferry dock then about 1 1/2 hours to A/C. If you take Tropic, you will be in AC within an hour and you don't have to worry about taxis, transfers and shlepping your bags.
Live Laugh Love

#316823 - 01/03/09 06:35 PM Re: Transport From Belize City [Re: colomojo]
Tim Callanan Offline
Take tropic ,unless you have to save a buck. May or may not be a pleasurable by boat, bring a rain coat ,just in case.
Tina's Island Life

#316825 - 01/03/09 06:42 PM Re: Transport From Belize City [Re: Tim Callanan]
pugwash Offline
Its economy of scale: If it is just one person, then the plane is a no brainer, somewhere around $50-65us each way depending on "cash discounts" and round trip discount.

If there are 3 or more, the ferry starts looking good....$25us for a cab to the swing bridge and then $10 us each for the water taxi, and for me the trip across the water always slows me down to island speed!

If you choose water taxi, ration the Belikins as there is 90 minutes of no rest room ahead of you smile
It's rarely rocket science, it's usually just math: then again if you can't do the math.......

#316857 - 01/03/09 10:00 PM Re: Transport From Belize City [Re: pugwash]
Leah-Ann Offline
NC, everyone has an opinion on this one - your plan is my preference. Even in the rain, there is nothing to compare to the boatride to AC- it is incredibly beautiful, gives you your first glimpse of the locals, and as pug says, it is a wonderful way to slip into vacation mode. I've never understood those so anxious to get to the destination that they don't bother to enjoy the journey, but, as I said, everyone has an opinion. The sights from the air are also beautiful and make a wonderful goodbye as you leave the island. With your plan you get the best of all possible options.
I can never remember which is better . . . safe? . . . or sorry?

#317003 - 01/04/09 10:36 PM Re: Transport From Belize City [Re: Leah-Ann]
ExOkie Offline
I fly in on the 4:45 flight from Houston usually so the water taxi is out for me. I'd love to take it one time though. Now during TS Arthur back in June I was glad to be flying out. I felt sorry for those poor people leaving on the water taxi in the rain and 30 mph winds.
God Bless The Reef!

#317280 - 01/06/09 11:40 AM Re: Transport From Belize City [Re: pugwash]
pauly Offline
there are 3 of us coming in march we were thinking water taxi do we have to book the boat in advance. we arive belize city 11.30 am any help here would be nice.

#317557 - 01/07/09 04:36 PM Re: Transport From Belize City [Re: pauly]
Barbara K Offline
Can't book the boat in advance but there are several a day until 4:30PM so you should be able to get on one if you arrive by 11:30. Taxi to the marine terminal and buy tix for the next boat. They run roughly every hour and a half.

#317566 - 01/07/09 05:38 PM Re: Transport From Belize City [Re: Barbara K]
NCVisitor Offline
Thanks to all of you for the great info.

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,679 Topics
461,170 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.