Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Chris_D Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I am coming down this december for my fourth trip to Belize. One of my favorite things to do there is get dropped off and camp and bonefish on one of the more isolated cayes. I have done this on glovers and in the tobacco region. this year I want to get out to one of the cayes on turneffe or lighthouse reef. I would really appreciate any info on cayes in turneffe or lighthouse with wadeable flats, good snorkleing, camping and accessibility.

Thanks,

S
S
Chris,

Did you have any problems with customs?
I have read that camping is strictly forbidden in Belize except for a few designated areas. I also am looking into camping in one of the far out atolls where the diving is excellent. I have only been to Belize once and need to spend sometime there
before I decide on living and possibly investing there. I luv to camp,but being a blonde female am a little afraid? Did you feel safe? Have any problems? I would be most grateful for any info.
Thanks

C
Chris_D Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Spencer,

You might look into S.water Caye. It's in the Tobacco region just south of Tobacco Caye. You won't have the dozen acre island to yourself (there are 3 resorts on it and every inch of the island is owned) but its pretty isolated and quite. I contacted International Zoololical Expeditions, (IZE) and negotiated a very resonable price for transportation to and from the island, meals and a place to ptich a tent. IZE mostly caters to college students doing marine biology studies.

Meals are served dorm style at set times, they have daily and nightly dives, its close to glovers atoll, they have sea kayaks and other water equipment.

IZE worked out great for me, as long as I was willing to work around their schedule and be flexible. So great infact, that if I can't figure out something for turneffe or lighthouse I will probabaly go back.

As for camping on Lighthouse reef, camping is allowed on halfmoon cay. Their is a park ranger and their is a day fee. I am also, trying to find out about camping on sandbore cay. From what I've read there is a lighthouse keeper on the island and it's located on the reef.

For turneffe, just yesteday I e-mailed three of the resorts on Turneffe and inquired about camping on their ground or nearby islands. As these are evepensive, exclusive resorts,I don't expect too much to come from this this but it's worth a try.

When are you going? Have you inquired with the overnight dive boats that go out for a dive and then sleep on the boat or camp on one of the islands? If we end up going to belize at the same time are you into spliting the cost of charting a boat to one of the outer islands?

Hope this has been helpful,

Chris

Talk to Peter Singfield:
[email protected] //AmbergrisCaye.com/reefcrawl

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 157 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.