Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#316454 12/30/08 06:49 PM
P
OP Offline
P
I just bought this at Tech Transylvania. I'd read iffy reviews and I think I agree that it's not a great movie, but as it's based on fact it's a very interesting insight into life amongst the super-privileged classes in England a couple of hundred years ago. Especially interesting as the Cavendish family (the Duke's) are related to the Spencers, and the eponymous heroine was a member of the same family as Princess Diana. I don't know if this was in Keira Knightley's mind, but as she played it the character is remarkably like the real life person of a couple of hundred years later.

A lot more enjoyable than the latest Bond movie "Quantum of Solace" that I bought at the same time and find unintelligible.

L
L
I am reading the book at the moment, so please, no spoilers, lol. The mental illustrations in the novel are wonderful. I have never had the patience to sit through a movie, but have always loved to imagine the narration of a good author.

P
OP Offline
P
I promise not to break the suspense! In any case, films often follow books very sparingly.

Your comment reminds me of the small boy who, when asked whether he preferred radio or television, replied "Radio - the pictures are better".

B
B
I got the movie from T Tech as well. I loved it. Very very sad story of what it might have been like to be a woman back then. I'm a sucker for a period piece though...

I don't know about Kiera's performance but Ralph Fiennes was insanely good in his part...

S
S
Check out "Gran Torino", "Slumdog Millionaire" and "Seven Pounds" next time you go to TT.

P
OP Offline
P
Maybe, but the next one I want to get is the one about the attempt to kill Hitler (forget its name). I don't believe they have it yet.

Valkyrie

It's rarely rocket science, it's usually just math: then again if you can't do the math.......
S
S
Not available as of last night.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by BrusselSprout
story of what it might have been like to be a woman back then

A member of any under-privileged class, relative to the aristocracy, which had as its main aim in life maintaining its unchallenged power and supremacy over all others. I don't know if they realised how lucky they were not to suffer the same fate as across the Channel.

If you study history you see that this social hierarchy came in with the Normans in 1066 - it didn't exist before - and has persisted unchanged in its essentials for almost a millenium since.

The feudal system, the concept that the Monarch was supreme and had total power over anyone in the land, and indeed owned all the land and everything and everyone in it, was derived from Roman catholic christianity, which dominated the Continent. So was the idea of vested automatic inheritance (the King's son becomes King).

We now know that England had for centuries before the Norman invasion had total democracy, universal suffrage (including women) and a elected Monarch who was first amongst equals, not an overlord. And important public buildings were built of stone, not wattle and daub as the Normans claimed. The Normans expunged all of this from the record, and it's only recent scholarship that has revealed it. Rather as the Spanish did later to Central/South America, with similar motivation.

We're seeing now how evil extreme religion in the form of Islam can be, but it's easy to forget that the evil of Christianity, ongoing to an extent, far eclipsed what we see nowadays. It's not Islam or Christianity that's evil - it's the social order that uses religion as an excuse for pursuing its evil political ambitions. Sadly, 'twas ever thus.

The Pope sponsored the Norman invasion specifically so he could gain power over the western isles of Europe, which had hitherto been beyond his reach. So Henry VIII's rebellion had deep symbolic significance - Britain finally overthrowing the shackles of Rome (though retaining the system it had brought with it).

History is fascinating! Here endeth this Sunday's sermon!

Seven Pounds will rip your heart out.....

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.