Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#317311 - 01/06/09 08:46 PM WHAT IS THE BEST CITY IN BELIZE TO STAY
breakofdawn26 Offline
Hi Everyone,

I'm from Toronto Canada and very interested in planning a long term trip to Belize. I don't drive and want to stay in a city where I can rent a home for $300-400/month where there is a nearby beach, retail stores and entertainment around. Where is the best place to stay

#317317 - 01/06/09 09:08 PM Re: WHAT IS THE BEST CITY IN BELIZE TO STAY [Re: breakofdawn26]
skippy Offline
Hi. There are quite a few Canadians on the board and I'm sure you will get some good advice from them and others here. I was wondering though why you think you can rent a home for $300-400 a month? It seems lots of people have the impression that Belize is inexpensive and I wonder why they think that. It's not. What gave you the impression, and again it seems to be prevalent, that it's cheap to live in Belize? Sorry, I'm just quite curious about impressions of Belize by people from different parts of the planet. Thanks and I hope you find what you are looking for!

#317320 - 01/06/09 09:11 PM Re: WHAT IS THE BEST CITY IN BELIZE TO STAY [Re: breakofdawn26]
papashine Offline
Try Hopkins, Punta Gorta, or Dangriga. They are on the coast and rentals are a lot cheaper down there.

#317347 - 01/07/09 12:23 AM Re: WHAT IS THE BEST CITY IN BELIZE TO STAY [Re: papashine]
Short Offline
Best place to go to in Belize period is San Pedro, Ambergris Caye. I will not discuss expenses though.

#317357 - 01/07/09 01:16 AM Re: WHAT IS THE BEST CITY IN BELIZE TO STAY [Re: Short]
breakofdawn26 Offline
Thanks everyone

#317392 - 01/07/09 04:59 AM Re: WHAT IS THE BEST CITY IN BELIZE TO STAY [Re: skippy]
breakofdawn26 Offline
I've read a lot of articles that said you can rent homes in Belize in certain cities for that amount. But I've seen expensive rentals for people with high incomes

#317397 - 01/07/09 05:26 AM Re: WHAT IS THE BEST CITY IN BELIZE TO STAY [Re: breakofdawn26]
Uncle Buck Offline
You can rent a decent 1 bedroom apartment in San Pedro for $400, if you're talking US dollars. In other parts of Belize you can get a bigger place for that price.

#317409 - 01/07/09 08:55 AM Re: WHAT IS THE BEST CITY IN BELIZE TO STAY [Re: Uncle Buck]
Peter Jones Offline
Once you get away from SP all prices drop a lot, especially if you also go inland. Your need for a "nearby beach" is what makes it difficult. Dangriga (not terribly attractive) or PG (tiny and sleepy) sound your only possibilities. Depending what you mean by "city".

#317455 - 01/07/09 04:56 PM Re: WHAT IS THE BEST CITY IN BELIZE TO STAY [Re: Peter Jones]
skippy Offline
PG has a beach now?

#317517 - 01/07/09 07:40 PM Re: WHAT IS THE BEST CITY IN BELIZE TO STAY [Re: skippy]
Peter Jones Offline
I don't know, I've never been there. But it is on the sea, which is a start. I suppose "beach" is also capable of interpretation.

I'm assuming "city" is being used in the American sense, of an administrative district. The word means something quite different in Britain. In the British definition I'm not sure that Belize has any cities, just towns and villages.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 50 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,036 Topics
462,242 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.