Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#31764 12/01/00 12:12 PM
B
OP Offline
B
YES DIVE THE BULE HOLE!!!!

Re the dive of the Blue Hole I'll repeat the same answer to the similar question elsewhere. Very few actual operators actually go to the Blue Hole. It requires a much larger boat then trips to the nearby reef do. So even if you book at your hotel you very well may end up with Amigoes del Mar.

#31765 12/01/00 01:21 PM
L
L
Hey, Beach Bum - me again...

I have a question and I'm sure everyone will chuckle, but I'm terrified of small planes. Is there any other way to get to Ambergris Caye from Belize City? I've read about ferry boats, but can't find any schedules and heard they are unreliable. We'll be arriving in Belize City at 12:30pm on a Saturday - did you use the ferry's at all from the mainland?

Lainie
#31766 12/01/00 02:12 PM
B
OP Offline
B
There are 2 regular sets of ferries that go Belize-Caulker-San Pedro.
I only went from AC to Caulker and back. The same boat continues to Belize and returns.
The boat I was on was a mostly open deck boat
that was terrific ride. It is operated by "The water taxi association". It seats about 40 people-not much room for alot of luggage. It costs $25 Belize (AC to Belize City-or vice versa)one way. You are inside the reef the whole trip so it is fairly smooth. It's a great way to get your first tan of the trip.
There is another ferry company that is an enclosed boat. I was warned that it is a touch claustrophobic and you can smell gas fumes.
For an hour plus trip that would make me nausious.
Both ferries leave from near "the Swing Bridge" in Belize City center. The last boat leave at around 3PM. Double check-but I know there is certainly a 2PM.

Having said all that-- the first view from the air of AC from the prop plane was awesome. The reef and the waves breaking run for miles and miles. It is so beautiful!!!

#31767 12/01/00 04:40 PM
L
L
Beach Bum-

Thanks again for the information - the boat sounds like my kind of travel!

Lainie
#31768 12/01/00 04:42 PM
Lainie,
We took the water taxi from Belize City the Sunday after Kieth hit. The boat was packed with people and tons, and I mean TONS of supplies, luggage, water, just tons of stuff. It was piled up in the middle of the boat close to our shoulders and we would all kind of work as a team to keep it all in the middle of the boat and from falling on anyone.
The taxi also has a area in the front of the boat for some storage. I would suggest though if you do take the taxi you make your luggage water resistant. We had a squall come over as we arrived at CC, it only lasted about 15 minutes but everything got soaked. We (our clothing) dried out very quickly but we looked like drowned rats! The water taxi was great but if I were you; take some drugs and do the plane.
Hope

#31769 12/01/00 05:49 PM
D
D
Thanks, Beach Bum... does it make more sense to fly over to the Blue Hole? Or does that mess with decompression, even tho it's a puddle jumper flight? How long is the trip to Blue Hole from San Pedro? Cost per diver? Appreciate your input! [Linked Image] Dawn

#31770 12/02/00 12:24 AM
B
OP Offline
B
You can only go by boat to the Blue Hole---
it's a sink hole in the middle of Coral that barely breaks the water line. The nearest land (Halfmoon Caye)is a couple of miles away. Halfmoon Caye is a national park with a lighthouse, exotic birds, a caretaker and a bathroom- thats it.
It's 1 1/2 hrs from San Pedro (it's actually closer to Belize City). The rack rate price for a day trip is $165 which includes 2 more dives after the Bluehole.
A "rough it" overnight is $200 and includes a total of 5 dives in the 2 days. Even the other dives are far nicer then the reef near San Pedro. Enjoy !!!!!!!! It's some of the best diving in the world.

[This message has been edited by Beach Bum (edited 12-01-2000).]

#31771 12/02/00 04:22 PM
Dawnskers: I'm wondering what certification level you guys have and how comfortable you are diving deep. The Blue Hole dive is to at least 130 feet and involves a decompression stop. If you are used to diving once or twice a year to 60'or so in clear warm waters, on your basic OW cert, maybe you shouldn't dive the Blue Hole. There are still some excellent dive days you can do without taking on a more advanced dive. Turneffe, Halfmoon Caye, etc. If you have your heart set on diving the Hole, be sure to do a number of other area dives in the days preceeding, just to ensure you are again comfortable with your skills and your gear etc. Maybe I'll run into you in San Pedro, I arrive on the 14th.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#31772 12/02/00 04:56 PM
K
K
Dawnskers,
Even if you decide not to dive the Blue Hole, it's well worth the trip. I only snorkel and am not a very good swimmer. I just threw on a life jacket and told the snorkel guide I wasn't a very good swimmer. I had a fabulous time! The coral reef around the Blue Hole is amazing!

Kat

#31773 12/02/00 07:23 PM
D
D
Appreciate the recommendations...we will probably take the trip out there, and maybe just dive the perimeter of the Hole, if the reef around it is as great as we hear...no reason we HAVE to dive to 130 ft, right? [Linked Image]

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 124 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.