Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Here is another source that says 98% for Belize ages 15-24, Lan:

ages 15-24 98%

Pam, that's a good point. You put up posters, no one shows, you scratch your head and wonder why.

I hope that someday we can put aside our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.
Interesting differences in the numbers.

I'd be a little cautious about the numbers in that World Resources Institute web site, however. For example, it says the 2002 population is 236,000 and projects the population of Belize at 324,000 in 2025.

But the 2000 Belize Census put the 2000 population at 246,000, and the mid-year 2007 population was estimated by the Belize Statistical Institute to be nearly 312,000. The Belize population now is likely already near 320,000, 16 years away from 2025.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
H.C. school has done ESL classes for both parents and kids who were in need. There were a lot of proud people come certificate day.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

My Spanish is non-existent, even after countless hours of lessons. In the States, a lot of English classes are taught with a teacher who does not know a second language, the theory being that the student must learn quickly to keep up.
I understood that a lot of immigrants were in San Pedro and that they needed to learn to speak English as well as read and write it.

My answer above sounds a bit lame. I'm grateful for the response that this post has generated and willing to help out with ESL, Literacy, whatever is needed. I'm bringing some teaching materials with me so if you know of anyone who needs help, let me know.

Shingles aside from your helping at H.C. School - I think I might know of an adult who could use your help. I will have to double check with Lara as it is someone she knows.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

"I understood that a lot of immigrants were in San Pedro and that they needed to learn to speak English as well as read and write it."

When I first began here there were lots of discussions about immigrants, and it became clear that it's taken more seriously here than the open door US. You might have a hard time getting them to come forward, illegal or no. But your lack of spanish skills, which most immigrants will likely be speaking, may limit your usefulness here. I sympathize, for after three years of spanish in college, I still cannot speak it well. My reading and writing is OK but of little use!

I hope that someday we can put aside our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.
I'll be glad to help, TacoGirl. We can figure out later how to get in touch with one another. I'll be there Feb. 8.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 254 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.