Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
Hello everyone. Please let me introduce myself. My wife and I were in San Pedro before Thanksgiving. We really enjoyed ourselves. We were in San Pedro only six days so we met just a few of you. While visiting it came to our attention that there was a need for some type of adult literacy program in San Pedro to help those that have fallen through the proverbial educational cracks. Several people approached my wife with the idea of starting a program in San Pedro. My wife has been working on the idea for a couple of months now and things are starting to come together. She is taking a leave of absence from the literacy program here and we are planning to spend Feb. and March in San Pedro. Teaching literacy is best done One-on-One. We are looking for volunteers. She will probably hold class two or three nights a week at the Holy Cross School. A person could volunteer one night or all three. There is a method to this madness and anyone can help. There is no need for any sort of advanced training. Three different volunteers could each work one night and so on. I'll even volunteer to hold your stool until after class and any of the popular watering holes! We have no idea how many students will have an interest in this, but we feel like there will at the least be several and like I said, this works best with a teacher for every student. Please feel free to ask any questions or make any suggestions as we are shooting from the hip on this...thanks

There is a literacy programme in San Pedro. If you'd like to PM me for information.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

Sailfish I just sent this post to our friend who is coming down at the end of January. Not sure if she will be here long enough but if she is would likely be interested to work with you.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

I'm the wife mentioned in the above post who is coming to teach literacy. I have emailed the contact you gave my husband, but no answer.

Hi Shingles good to see you on the message board. smile

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

I think I read a while back on here that the literacy rate in Belize was 98%. Seems pretty good. I wonder what the literacy rate in the US is? That high?

I hope that someday we can put aside our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.
P
P
How is your Spanish? A big issue for literacy is that there are many people moving here from other parts of Central America and they do not speak English. This is also a giant problem in the schools.

The CIA Factbook, whose source for this is the 2000 Belize Census, says that the Belize literacy rate for those over 15 is 76.9%.

The CIA Factbook for the U.S. says the U.S. literacy rate is 99%.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
I should add that the definition of literacy in this case is the ability to read and write. It doesn't mean literacy in English or any other specific language.

--Lan Sluder

P
P
The question with literacy, as you know, is getting people to the facility to learn. There is such an intense level of embarrassment regarding the inability to read.In the states, they are accepting ESL students in to literacy programs where there is room.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.