Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#318337 - 01/13/09 12:08 AM Ambergris with a baby?!
akhut Offline
Hi all, I'm not sure if this topic has already been discussed already or not... but we are trying to decide whether we should take our baby with us to AC?? She will be 9-months in March... I think we are going to stay at Ramone's Village because it has a/c, close to town, has child care services (just in case), and has a pool, restaurant, etc. I'm thinking that food won't be a problem because her main food source is formula still, and I can just use bottled water to make it with. I've contacted the tour company and they said we could bring her on the sail/snorkel trip... which is awesome. I also read that a new health clinic just opened up, and there are great doctors available on the island if we ever need them. I've heard of this "Cactus juice" stuff for bug repellant... does anybody else have any suggestions?? Tips? Will riding the water taxi or golf carts be a problem with a baby? I'm just so nervous. Is there anything I'm missing? I'd appreciate any help, thanks!!!!

#318340 - 01/13/09 01:31 AM Re: Ambergris with a baby?! [Re: akhut]
reaper Offline
My daughter made her first trip at 4 months old. She has been 5 times since. The only problem she has encountered was sand flea bites twice and a touch of the island flu that was going around one trip. I recommend Dr. Danny at Ambergris Hope Clinic if she needs some medical attention. Have a fun trip!

#318342 - 01/13/09 07:32 AM Re: Ambergris with a baby?! [Re: reaper]
lil'red Offline
I go "baby" to repell the sand fleas and use plain old baby oil.

#318372 - 01/13/09 10:26 AM Re: Ambergris with a baby?! [Re: lil'red]
Amanda Syme Offline
Baby oil works great for the bug bites - but it can also "fry" your baby if used while exposed to the sun. Baby oil at night is great to keep up the bugs and soothe the effects of the sun and sea.

They do make sunscreen with bug repellent in it that is rated for kids over 6 months - pop down to a pharmacy and see what is available then do some research on line.

But don't hesitate to bring the tyke. She might eat some sand - but it does come out the other end!

I've raised 3 kids here - and they have enjoyed pretty much every minute of life on the beach.

Things to remember with a kid - HYDRATE, PROTECT SKIN FROM THE SUN AND BUGS. Be extremely watchful during water events. Bring any medications you need. Bring your daughter's comfort aid (doll, teddy, blanket) Make contact with Dr. Danny and that way you will know where to find him if, God forbid, you need him.

And then you can relax and have fun.

#318460 - 01/13/09 05:28 PM Re: Ambergris with a baby?! [Re: Amanda Syme]
akhut Offline
Thanks everybody for your help! I feel a little better now. How about riding the water taxi and golf carts?? Shouldn't be any problems right?

#318468 - 01/13/09 06:02 PM Re: Ambergris with a baby?! [Re: akhut]
Caye Connect Offline
No problems with either. My son, 7mo, falls right to sleep in either golf cart or a boat. We use a baby carrier in these situations - although not easy to drive a cart with a baby strapped on your chest.

#318471 - 01/13/09 06:07 PM Re: Ambergris with a baby?! [Re: Caye Connect]
Otteralum Offline
I use baby repellant on our trips and it works quite well
I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.

#318483 - 01/13/09 09:16 PM Re: Ambergris with a baby?! [Re: Otteralum]
ron Offline
When I was just down there, many locals simply put the baby in the basket over the front wheel and were good to go.

#318489 - 01/13/09 10:12 PM Re: Ambergris with a baby?! [Re: ron]
Gridguy Offline

#318503 - 01/13/09 11:03 PM Re: Ambergris with a baby?! [Re: akhut]
ExOkie Offline
A friend of mine's sister had her wedding in San Pedro last year. My friend and her husband took their 8 month old baby with them. They stayed at Ramons also and had no problems (other than a canceled flight on the way home). They went in late May when it was a little hotter also. I don't think they took Aiden with them ziplining or on their mainline tour though (plenty of babysitters in the wedding party).

Hope that this helps.
God Bless The Reef!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Marty, 1 invisible), 49 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,636 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,725 Topics
461,274 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.