Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#318394 - 01/13/09 12:17 PM Ambergris Caye or Hopkins?
sarahdee Offline
I am looking to go to belize in April of this year and I can not figure out if I should stay in hopkins or ambergris caye. Any suggestions?? Beach is very important to me so anyone who has been to both could help me out a lot. I hear there are sand flies in Hopkins beach, but then read they are everywhere. Are there any beaches on Ambergris caye where you can just walk right into the ocean or are they too rocky? How is the water in Hopkins?

#318396 - 01/13/09 12:30 PM Re: Ambergris Caye or Hopkins? [Re: sarahdee]
Tim Callanan Offline
"If it is all over the beaches" Hopkins is your best bet. Hopkins is one of my favorite places in Belize. The village is cool and quiet, there just is not much going on there, might be perfect for you.
San Pedro has more tours and activities. We have live music normally 7 nights a week; you can do most of all tours from S.P.
If you are a more active person San Pedro. If you want to curl up and read a book in a quiet quaint place Hopkins is for you.
Do you have kids? Will you be eating out? Would you need groceries?

Tina's Island Life

#318397 - 01/13/09 12:39 PM Re: Ambergris Caye or Hopkins? [Re: Tim Callanan]
skippy Offline
Two extremes there and both with nice beaches. There is a reason one is lively and one is sedate. So decide based upon what you are.
I hope that someday we can put aside our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

#318398 - 01/13/09 12:46 PM Re: Ambergris Caye or Hopkins? [Re: skippy]
Sal777 Offline
As others have said - two extremes. Both lovely but one very quiet and serene, the other very lively. Accommodation choice in Hopkins is limited to a couple high end resorts, and then mostly basic cabanas and a couple B&Bs. San Pedro has all ends of the spectrum. Hopkins feels more like a Belize village, SP like a lively tourist spot with plenty of Belizean culture too.

A plus for Hopkins if you're in to it --- good jungle hiking very close by.

I did both --- and enjoyed both for what they had to offer.

#318399 - 01/13/09 01:02 PM Re: Ambergris Caye or Hopkins? [Re: Sal777]
TacoBoy Offline
FYI, the beaches on Ambergris are not rocky...

#318426 - 01/13/09 02:24 PM Re: Ambergris Caye or Hopkins? [Re: TacoBoy]
Belize-N-Us Offline
The water at Hopkins is not nearly as pretty but the beaches are better as far as sand / walk-in goes.

Hopkins = BORING!
A.C. = FUN! and you can still have isolation north or south of town if isolation is desired.
Future full time Belizeans
Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918

#318439 - 01/13/09 03:17 PM Re: Ambergris Caye or Hopkins? [Re: Belize-N-Us]
Phil Offline
I am always reading the beaches on the Mainland at places like Placencia and Hopkins are better than San Pedro and Caye Caulker, and I couldn't disagree more. The sand is the coarse broken down rock that is a brown colour and gets hot and is difficult to walk on, compared to our fine white coral sand that is never too hot or difficult to walk on. Then the water here is blue, blue, blue. Mainland beaches are subject to run off from Rivers and often the water is as brown as the sand. True, we have more docks and not the long unbroken vistsas, and often shallower water, but the water clarity and colours due to the sand and lack of sediment are what make it for me.

#318441 - 01/13/09 03:26 PM Re: Ambergris Caye or Hopkins? [Re: Phil]
Belize-N-Us Offline
It's not so much the sand that makes the mainland beaches "better". I agree the sand is prettier on AC and CC but in many places the water is so shallow that sea grass and mud take over making walking in the water unpleasant.

You must admit that the traditional walk-in and swim beach is not as common on AC and CC as the mainland. In fact considering boat traffic the traditional walk-in and swim safely beaches on AC are sparse in my opinion.

Future full time Belizeans
Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918

#318443 - 01/13/09 03:35 PM Re: Ambergris Caye or Hopkins? [Re: Belize-N-Us]
Barnacle Offline
the beach in Maya Beach,,, maya beach crowds

#318448 - 01/13/09 04:38 PM Re: Ambergris Caye or Hopkins? [Re: Barnacle]
Sally1 Offline
That beach at Maya Beach in Placencia is not half as pretty(at least in the picture since I haven't been on that beach) as Tranquility Bay's, North Ambergris, in my opinion, and you can walk forever on the beach up at Tranquility and swim easily out in the ocean. I am all about the beach and being able to swim in the ocean. AC offers great beaches. West Side is beautiful too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Diver Damon, 1 invisible), 41 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,697 Topics
461,207 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.