Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#318569 - 01/14/09 11:23 AM Charge for Trash Pickup
shuffles Offline
Just received a hand delivered letter from the Town Council stating that any business in the San Pedro Town area is now required to pay $50 per month for garbage pick up.....starting January 2009 (payable in advance of course) or be subjected to a $1000 fine. It also states that the trash must be on the property in an accessible area.

Part of the "Littering Act"

First, was there a notice about this and I missed it?
Second, why businesses only? I have seen a few private residences here that could use their entire yards picked up.....they aren't paying?
Third, if this is part of a littering act, shouldn't someone be busting the chops of those people whose yards and beaches look like dumps?
Fourth, does this mean that we with two trash cans pay the same as say Banana Beach or Sunbreeze?

Why not add this to our tax bills?

Edited by shuffles (01/14/09 11:36 AM)
Edit Reason: adding info
Change your Latitude

#318602 - 01/14/09 01:35 PM Re: Charge for Trash Pickup [Re: shuffles]
Diane Campbell Offline
Probably these questions are better directed to the Town Board, but here is my own experience ........
We used to own a triplex in town - we paid the $50 a month.
I would be thrilled to have proper garbage collection in our area for $50 a month !
Services vary from area to area - it might be too cumbersome to attempt to update tax rolls every time a public service level changes.

#318603 - 01/14/09 01:36 PM Re: Charge for Trash Pickup [Re: shuffles]
Amanda Syme Offline
You can always take your own trash to the the dump (there is a small fee.)

The town council needs operating capital - not more "promised" income that never materializes.

Every week they pay for the garbage guys, the equipment, fuel etc - every week we all use the services - what is wrong with paying for the services on a regular basis?

What do you mean "ridiculous?"

The town council has charged the same rates on and off in the past - you may have missed the original publishing.

Yes, they have been busting the chops of many of the offenders of offensive properties.

Businesses are going to pay because they typically have the income to pay for the services. Many residents simply wouldn't pay for the service and then our neighbourhoods would be REALLY disgusting.

Most of the resorts take their own trash to the dump via private services.

Taking your own trash to the dump will cost you around $50 BZE PER LOAD.

#318761 - 01/15/09 11:56 AM Re: Charge for Trash Pickup [Re: shuffles]
papashine Offline
Of all the things that I consider rediculous, garbage pickup for 50 bz per month doesn't even come close to getting on my list. Take it to the dump yourself if you do not want to pay the town board.
Reality..What a concept!

#318799 - 01/15/09 03:53 PM Re: Charge for Trash Pickup [Re: papashine]
TravelinMan1 Offline
I live south and I am currently the last house on the route and I am very appriciative of the service. Prior to that we had top haul trash around until we found a can that could handle ours. I think it is safe to say that the town has made efforts in the trash pickup area with the new truck and soon the street sweeper and therefore it is now up to the community to help pay for these luxuries.

#318838 - 01/15/09 06:22 PM Re: Charge for Trash Pickup [Re: TravelinMan1]
Phil Offline
Excuse me but it is RUBBISH.

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Safecracker, 1 invisible), 31 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,637 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,734 Topics
461,300 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.