Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
The Belize National Coast Guard today received a boat fully equipped with modern technology and will be used to patrol the waters of Belize. A short handing over ceremony was held at the San Pedro Town Central Park. The vessel is fully equipped with electronic equipments that will allow the Belize National Coast Guard to expand on their capabilities. The vessel is equipped with a radar device and communication device. The modern communication equipment will allow to vessel to be a commander headquarters out at sea. Additional features of the vessel include a front ramp and a rear wing that will allow the vessel to do beach landing load and unload with out delays or the need of a docking facility. It has the capacity to carry 30 passengers and has a large carrying capability for cargo transportation. The vessel valued at one million Belize dollars was handed over to Commander of the Belize Coast Guard, Admiral Cedric Borland by Doctor John McCaughey, founder of the McCaughey Virus Company. The vessel will be used to patrol the waters of Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker.

LoveFM

S
S
Does the McCaughey Virus Company manufacture viruses? How brazen!!! Someone ought to alert the folks at McAfee Antivirus Company!!!

Without giving his exact address I was just wondering where in Belize he lives? AC? Mainland?

Just a general area, not asking for his exact home location.

Future full time Belizeans
Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
John McAfee donates million dollar vessel to Coastguard
The Belize Coast Guard is intensifying its war against drug trafficking and strengthening rescue missions across the country. Some help for its efforts came their way today from John McAfee who donated a twenty-seven foot boat to the BNCG worth one point one million dollars. If his name rings a bell, it is because McAfee is the founder of McAfee Antivirus software, used in computers around the globe. McAfee, who is also a freshly sworn-in Belizean, handed over the vessel to the Coast Guard in San Pedro this afternoon. The anti-virus mogul told us why he's taken up the anti-drug torch.

Dr. John McAfee, Donor
"Why this donation to the coast guard? I felt it more of a duty than anything else. I've just recently become a permanent resident of Belize and I'm very grateful that the country of Belize allowed me to live here permanently and I wanted to give something back and I think the magnitude of the gift reflects the magnitude of my gratitude. I think it's the first boat that they have that has a full compliment of electronics radar that is connected to their GPS system that can for example identify boats fifty miles away in terms of the size and shape and what direction their moving. This is my personal craft, its only a couple of years old. It has fewer than two hundred hours on the engines but I have similar boats with similar capabilities so I can vouch for the fact that it will serve them well."

Admiral Cedric Borland, Cmdr., Nat'l Coast Guard Service
"This vessel has some unique capabilities. It's a twenty-seven foot rigged but it's fitted with electronic equipment, communication equipment and navigational equipment which is going to enhance our operation effectiveness at sea. With the equipment we will be able to track, monitor and intercept activities out at sea, whether it be for search and rescue or illegal activities. It also has some unique navigational equipment where we will be able to navigate through treacherous waters. In addition to that navigational equipment to track and move unto illegal activities out at sea. With this particular vessel, we will have no problem operating at night. We'd be able to see at night using the radar capability. We'd be able to navigate at night. In addition to that, this vessel has an array of spotlights that we will be able to use at night whether it be for boding other vessels or recovery missions."

The vessel is able to accommodate up to thirty individuals at any one time and Borland says it will be used for natural disasters to transport persons and supplies. The Commander also spoke about the year ahead for the Coast Guard.

Admiral Cedric Borland, Cmdr., Nat'l Coast Guard Service
"This year we expect to be a very successful year for the Coast Guard. This is the first event that we've had for this year, taking back this special vessel that is going to meet our new requirements. But in addition to that, we have the Ford Operation based at Calabash Caye that we expect to inaugurate sometime in early March. In addition to that, we have the Coast Guard main headquarters that is being constructed at the Old Belizean Beach. We expect construction to start around the end of February on that particular site. So we can look forward to many successes for the Coast Guard. I must mention that since last year, we have been planning for this year. We also expect, in addition to the infrastructure development, we are expecting two new vessels from the U.S. government. Those are going to be some high speed intercept vessels that will be able to give us sixty, seventy miles per hour on the high seas and be able to engage high seas with waves up ten to twelve feet."

Duane Moody
"Those vessels that is intended to come in, they will also facilitate with the search and rescue as well as intercepting crime, other crime vessels etcetera, etcetera?"

Admiral Cedric Borland
"Yes, of course. Our mission mainly is security, safety and protection out at sea. And when we look at security, we look at drug trafficking, we look at illegal fishing, illegal migration. There is a number of other illegal activities occurring there that we intend to intercept."

Channel 5

He lives on the island - north of the bridge.

I think the actual cost of the vessel is closer to $750K US. It is beautiful. I have high hopes that this boat will be a huge asset to our coast guard in their efforts to keep our borders safe, deter the boat thieves, and of course in search and rescue missions.

Maybe John will be able to get the powers that be (Belize Telephone?) to get onboard with high speed affordable internet. After all, what good is anti-virus software without dependable and fast updates?

Last edited by 6string; 01/14/09 11:09 AM. Reason: grammar

M. Sjulstad
M&M Trivia - JAMPT UP Band
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Coast Guard receives boat donation

[Linked Image]

The Belize National Coast Guard on Tuesday, January 13th, was presented with a new boat fully equipped with modern technology which will be used to patrol the waters of Belize. A short handing over ceremony took place at the San Pedro Town Central Park. The vessel is highly equipped with electronic equipments that will enable the Belize National Coast Guard to expand on their capability.
First it is equipped with a radar device that sees beyond the normal view with both day and night capabilities. It will enable operators to observe, monitor, track and acquire targets whether it is for a search and rescue mission or for any illegal suspected activities at sea. The navigational equipment will also allow for the vessel to navigate through treacherous waters, where it may track and intercept activities.

Another feature is the modern communication equipment found on the vessel. This would easily allow the vessel to be a command headquarters at sea where it can execute multi-agent operations. With the electronic equipment, the vessel can also support night operations for search and rescue and recovery with its several search light capability.

Additional features of the vessel includes a front ram and a rear winch which will allow the vessel to perform beach landings, load and unload as necessary without delay or the need of a docking facility. As small as the vessel may appear, it has the capability to hold 30 passengers and has a large carrying capacity for cargo transportation.

On hand to receive the one million Belize dollar donation was Belize National Coast Guard Commander, Admiral Cedric Borland. Admiral Borland stated that the vessel would be best suited for patrolling missions whether it is for safety, security or search and rescue missions around the cayes and the atolls. Admiral Borland added that the vessel will be used to regularly patrol the waters of Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker.

The donation was made by Dr. John McAfee founder of the McAfee Virus Company, who recently got his permanent residence and is originally from New Mexico, US. Dr. McAfee stated that, "the magnitude of the donation reflects the magnitude of my gratitude to Belize for giving me my permanent residency."

Other invited guests included US Ambassador to Belize, His Excellency Robert Dieter, CEO in the Ministry of National Security, Retired Brigadier General Lloyd Gillette, Commander of the Belize Defense Force, Dario Tapia, San Pedro Mayor, Her Worship Elsa Paz, and Officer in Charge of the San Pedro Police Formation, Assistant Superintendent Dennis Arnold.

San Pedro Sun

Marty,
I'm no expert on boats, but that doesn't look like a 1/2 million dollar boat to me. Are you sure that you have the correct photo?

Dan

"Facts are the enemy of Truth"
Don Quixote
No way that's a 500K boat...Belize or US!! Hubby says it looks more like a zodiac pontoon boat!! LOL!!!

"Sometimes I go this way, sometimes I go that way-but it's always MY way!" LOL! "Cheshire" in CA
Trust me, the photos do NOT give this vessel justice.

I will have to search for the websites that actually extol the true virtues of these vessels.

They are very expensive, very unique and although some may view these as flimsy dingies - that is far, far from the truth.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 250 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.