Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#318677 - 01/14/09 08:10 PM Fishing Gear Question
vtinbk Offline
Hi All -

I've really enjoyed scoping out the message board in preparation for my first visit to AC. It only makes the time before we leave seem that much farther away...

My question is this: I'm renting a place for a week, and would love to be able to fish on my own around it (dock, wading,etc.). Is there someplace just to rent basic spinning rods, tackle, etc for that (very recreational) use?

Thanks much. Really looking forward to the trip.

#318725 - 01/15/09 09:13 AM Re: Fishing Gear Question [Re: vtinbk]
krehfish Offline
Your best bet is to buy a 3-piece rod and spin reel before you leave. Add $20 worth of jigs and minnow baits. One of the big box sporting retailers should have it all for less than $100. You'll probably make some new friends while fishing, so give it one of the kids when you leave.
Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.

#318800 - 01/15/09 03:56 PM Re: Fishing Gear Question [Re: krehfish]
margarita Offline
Some Rentals would provide you with what you need.

#318811 - 01/15/09 04:48 PM Re: Fishing Gear Question [Re: margarita]
Bing Crosby Offline
Try fishing like the local kids; use a piece of line with split shot and a hook on the end and toss the line out. It's easy, fun and carrying the material in your luggage is very easy.

#318814 - 01/15/09 05:06 PM Re: Fishing Gear Question [Re: vtinbk]
skippy Offline
The direct answer is no, there isn't.
I hope that someday we can put aside our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

#318930 - 01/16/09 11:12 AM Re: Fishing Gear Question [Re: skippy]
mountain Larry Offline
I would agree with Bing, I did this with a couple of kids my last time down and had a blast.

#318971 - 01/16/09 03:45 PM Re: Fishing Gear Question [Re: mountain Larry]
skippy Offline
Do you wrap the line/string around your fingers and wrist to keep from losing it? How do you keep from losing your fingers or hand if a fish worth fishing for takes it?
I hope that someday we can put aside our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

#318982 - 01/16/09 05:27 PM Re: Fishing Gear Question [Re: skippy]
across777 Offline
I would strongly suggest just bringing an inexpensive 2 piece spinning rod and some basic gear. Bring some bottom fishing equipment like small hooks and weights, then some lures like small spoons, spinners, bettle spin, and grub-type lures. Like others have said, you could leave it to some local kids if you don't want to bring it back.

I had much success on bonefish, small snapper, and small jacks fishing from the dock, but I was staying on the far north end where the shore fishing is probably better. Feel free to email me if you want some more specific info....I don't check this message board much. austincrossley@yahoo.com

#319000 - 01/16/09 08:27 PM Re: Fishing Gear Question [Re: across777]
Danny2 Offline

Skippy, you state a stupid premise and ask a stupid question based on your stupid premise. That's stupid. Now I know why they call you Skippy. When God was passing out common sense and when He got to you everyone voted skippy.

#319002 - 01/16/09 08:45 PM Re: Fishing Gear Question [Re: Danny2]
skippy Offline
Well said as usual Danny.

Actually what is stupid is to tell a guy who is asking about fishing equipment availability during his expensive vacation to another country to just use a piece of line with a hook "like the kids here do it." The kids here would use rods and tackle like he refers to if they could but they don't have it. It's not a matter of choice for them. If he brings a simple outfit as recommeneded, he can leave it behind for those kids who, I assure you Danny, will always use it instead of a line with a hook wrapped around their little fingers.

You're welcome, Danny. I know logic isn't your strong suit. Fishing either. But your attempt at sarcasm is a welcome departure from your usual somnific posts about the attributes of terrorists.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 32 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,638 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,734 Topics
461,302 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.