Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
hbooth Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Hello everyone! I am flying into Cancun and taking a bus to Chetumal....that much I have figured out. I need advice on the cheaper options of getting from Chetumal to San Pedro. I know that there are flights, but I have also read about buses and water taxis. Can you guys give me some info on the cost and the travel time of my options. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, I have also read about the transfer services and that they cost about $30. Is that per person or total? How does it work if I try to cross the border without the transfer service (basically what are the pros of the service)?

Thanks everyone!!!

What time does your flight arrive in Cancun

H
hbooth Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I get into Cancun just after 3pm. I'm planning on taking the bus to Chetumal and getting a hotel for the night so that I can head out bright and early the next morning.

You know it takes 5-6 hours from Cancun to Chetumal

It will cost you 14.00 us for a cab to the bus depot in cancun, you have to hold out for that price, the cab drivers will tell you the cost is 58.00us. There are buses that run down to Chetumal every couple of hours, I would imagine that you should be able to catch one just after 5 pm, it will take 6 to 6.5 hours to reach Chetumal, the taxi stand in Chetumal is right beside the bus depot, get a taxi to Los Cocos or the Holiday Inn, the price for hotel will be between 800 to 1100 pesos. Give Henry Menzies a call when you get in and he will pick you up and take you across the boarder to belize. 501-422-2725.

Reality..What a concept!
You can also take a bus from the Cancun Airport to the Cancun Bus Station for $4.00 US. I think they run every half hour beginning at 4:30 am.

Change your Latitude
The "pros" of taking a taxi are numerous. They will take you through customs and immigration in both Mexico and Belize.... very smooth. Might not be so smooth on your own. I have heard stories about people being asked for "fines" or payment to get through, particularly in Mexico. The $30 taxi (for up to four persons) is money well spent.

Also, if you take a bus to the Corozal airstrip, they will drop you at the road, and you have to walk up to the actual airstrip.

Like I said, money well spent.

Change your Latitude
P
P
Without question use Henry for the Chetumal bus station to Corozal airstrip bit. The route I always use is a bus from CUN to Playa del Carmen, then I overnight in Playa and get the 9:30m bus to Chetumal and the 3:30 plane to SP (times approximate, from memory). I book the morning bus on arrival in Playa. Note that unless they've changed it the CUN and Chetumal buses use different bus stations in Playa, a mile or so apart.

I'm not sure when the water taxi from Corozal to SP leaves because it's never tempted me. At the end of a long journey I don't want to be messing around with long boat journeys in sometimes questionable weather when there's a good plane service available for not much more money.

No bus to SP - AC is an island! And going all the way into Belize City by bus, only to come back up to SP by boat or plane makes no sense at all.

Just one more note. If you do not spend the night in Chetumal, but in Cancun or Playa, you will need to take a taxi from the bus station in Chetumal to either the Holiday Inn or Los Cocos (or some other landmark if you know the city) to have Henry pick you up. The Mexican taxi drivers got their undies in a bunch a year or so ago, and the Belize taxi drivers cannot pick them up from the Chetumal bus station directly anymore. Drop off isn't a problem, but you have to take a local (Mexican) taxi from the bus station in Chetumal.

Change your Latitude
P
P
When did that come in? I last did that route a year ago and there was no problem then.

I forgot to mention - book your trip with Henry ahead of time (by email - leave time for a reply to reach you) and tell him what flight you're arriving at CUN by and what bus you expect to catch from Playa or Cancun. Look up ADO's website and you can find the schedule, if you read Spanish. Then even if your plane or bus is delayed you'll still find Henry's man waiting for you. Such delays have happened to me twice, and thanks to Henry's diligence there was no drama.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.