Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#318960 01/16/09 02:59 PM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
[Linked Image]
This picture was submitted to us by one of our readers. Apparently there has been constant dumping of garbage in this area by the Ambergris Stadium leading to the DFC Area. We contacted the Town Council to check whether they were aware of this situation and confirmed to us that they are responsible of dumping the waste material as the land is very swampy and needs to be filled before they can level the land properly and open the street to the public.

Posted by Ambergris Today

Marty #318964 01/16/09 03:23 PM
S
S
So I guess plastic is good fill since it lasts forever???

SP Daily #318968 01/16/09 03:28 PM
Yow... plastic, styrofoam, wire, metal, etc... kinda nasty, eh?

M. Sjulstad
M&M Trivia - JAMPT UP Band
6string #318969 01/16/09 03:35 PM
As I understand it, this is a very common way to fill roads on the island. They did it up north and heard that they are doing it on the new airport road too.

B
B
And we wonder why there is so much litter? It ain't littering its filling....doing one's civic duty. It really looks nice from the air for first time visitors as well.

N
N
I can't believe the Ministry of the Environment supports this activity.

B
B
I know a local, a Belizean, who says he can not pass this location with all of the rain because the mud, mush pit is so foul that he fears for his safety. It is not just construction debris but used toilet paper, diapers and lots of other unsavory stuff. Nasty. Time for a change to protect the health and welfare of everyone that calls this wonderful place home.

The tough part is getting folks to understand the difference between hard core type fill and biodegradable and bio hazardous trash.

Although I hate the fact that plastics and construction debris are thrown in the holes, it does eventually create a useable road once it has been crushed and sand thrown on top. No this is not an ideal situation but if it is the situation we have to deal with it would be beneficial to try and help people to learn and understand the differences in their refuse.

In most cases the US, Canada and European nations are already required to separate their trash so it is shocking to realize that other nations haven't followed suit yet.

First attempt to separate some trash have been made in the past and the "plastics", "paper", and "glass" bins always ended up with household kitchen and bathroom refuse.

Change is going to take a couple of generations. All literature, lectures and signage would need to be in English and Spanish - and the cost of such an educational project will be high. Not impossible but certainly a big challenge.

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 133 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,202
Posts500,026
Members20,466
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.