Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#319115 - 01/18/09 12:24 AM Mennonite Homes.....?
hbooth Offline
Can you guys give me some info on the Mennonite homes? Are they worth it? I've thought about buying one and finishing the inside with drywall and putting stucco on the outside.

All opinions welcome smile

#319127 - 01/18/09 01:38 AM Re: Mennonite Homes.....? [Re: hbooth]
belizegial Offline
Where is your property located?

#319196 - 01/18/09 05:56 PM Re: Mennonite Homes.....? [Re: hbooth]
papashine Offline
They are not fancy, they are a pretty basic house, they are very affordable and quick to get built and setup. All in all I think they are a good deal.

#319257 - 01/19/09 10:03 AM Re: Mennonite Homes.....? [Re: papashine]
weile Offline
If you're on a tight budget, a mennonite house makes sense. They are fine and the mennonites are, as far as I know skilled, honest and quick builders, but you will not get a very nice house without adding a bit to the basics they provide.

If I were to buy a basic mennonite house, I would do the following relatively cheap improvements:
1. a layer of tar paper.
2. a layer of R-11 insulation.
3. 3/4" drywalls.
4. consider "real" windows, at least in bedroom or other rooms where a/c might be installed in the future.

Alternatively, talk to local builder Jim Hanna, who has built many very nice and reasonably priced wooden houses on the island.

Good luck...

#319270 - 01/19/09 03:20 PM Re: Mennonite Homes.....? [Re: weile]
Pedro1 Offline
I have a mennonite house which was half the price of anyone on the island -I have ac -it does not and has never leaked -it is built sturdier than most-it does not move in high winds-I am very pleased with everything about it-also it took 6 weeks to build-no-one can beat this.

#319272 - 01/19/09 03:47 PM Re: Mennonite Homes.....? [Re: Pedro1]
Ernie B Offline
It also has a fine kitchen as I recall !

#319284 - 01/19/09 04:11 PM Re: Mennonite Homes.....? [Re: Ernie B]
RathaBnBelize Offline
Anyone know the approximate current price per sq.ft. for a mennonite house in San Pedro?

#319295 - 01/19/09 05:20 PM Re: Mennonite Homes.....? [Re: RathaBnBelize]
papashine Offline
I cannot remember the exact price, but they are outrageously cheaper then anything else out there.

#319308 - 01/19/09 06:23 PM Re: Mennonite Homes.....? [Re: papashine]
Peter Jones Offline
I think we may be confusing prefabricated house constructed (and erected) by Mennonites with bespoke houses built by them. The former are incredibly cheap and excellent value, and given a modicum of care last a long time. There are quite a few on the island.

My own house was bespoke built by Mennonites about 12 years ago, and while doing some long-overdue maintenance recently I've had a close look at the quality of construction and materials used. Both are superb. I was in the house during Hurricane Dean a year or two ago and I was very impressed at the integrity of the house even under an onslaught of (I was told) 120mph winds.

I don't know whether there's one "Mennonite house" or a range built by different Mennonites, but it seems to me they're very good basic houses.

#319379 - 01/19/09 11:44 PM Re: Mennonite Homes.....? [Re: Peter Jones]
RathaBnBelize Offline
For San Pedro I suspect they build the pieces (trusses,walls etc.) and assemble them later?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (dabunk), 33 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,015 Topics
462,195 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.