Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#319141 - 01/18/09 04:49 AM strange question regarding prescription meds
Bernie&Gordy Offline
Hello all
I had the great pleasure of having oral surgery day before yesterday ( just as awesome as you may think) and when I told him I was heading to Belize in a couple days - the oral surgeon told me that under no circumstances can I bring the painkillers with me to Belize. Specifically, he said that I would be subject to criminal prosecution. AAAGH!
I have traveled to Belize a lot ( and through all of C.A.) and have never had anyone look at any prescription medication in my purse however this guy scared the hell out of me.
Should I really be this nervous? Thanks for any insight. Bernadette

#319145 - 01/18/09 05:05 AM Re: strange question regarding prescription meds [Re: Bernie&Gordy]
pugwash Offline
When I travel, I put each days supply of medicines (Blood Pressure Pills, Pamprin, Suppositories, etc) in a baggie with the day written on it: this not only means that I may remember to take each days dose regardless of Belikin intake, but that they are pretty obviously medicinal if inspected

#319146 - 01/18/09 05:10 AM Re: strange question regarding prescription meds [Re: pugwash]
dabunk Offline
You can buy almost all drugs here over the counter. He does not know what he is talking about.

#319148 - 01/18/09 05:18 AM Re: strange question regarding prescription meds [Re: dabunk]
Sandshaker Offline
I would make sure the prescription is in the bottle with the label...with your name on it. If they need to they can check it out. If they want to know bad enough then they will have to pay for the phone call to check it out.

People travel all the time with their medicines. I think dabunk is right. He don't know what he is talking about...LOL

I'd have to have another suitcase for all my prescriptions! Hell, they'd probably lock me up!

#319149 - 01/18/09 05:21 AM Re: strange question regarding prescription meds [Re: Sandshaker]
Bernie&Gordy Offline
Thanks very much for the advice. I was going to go without them and just deal with it ( although it would almost certainly ruin my naturally sweet disposition) so appreciate the feedback.

#319159 - 01/18/09 05:55 AM Re: strange question regarding prescription meds [Re: Bernie&Gordy]
Amanda Syme Offline
Absolutely if you are traveling and can provide a bottle with your prescription on it - do it.

Otherwise you can most likely be taken care of here - but we have been known to run out of the right stuff at the right time.

#319174 - 01/18/09 02:18 PM Re: strange question regarding prescription meds [Re: Amanda Syme]
tacogirl Offline
Make sure to snap a picture of you easily passing through customs for your surgeon so he can see the real deal.

#319178 - 01/18/09 03:27 PM Re: strange question regarding prescription meds [Re: tacogirl]
mymyheyhay Offline
My stepmom lives in Belize and I just brought her down 2 bottles of vicodan in HER name. No problems here.

#319186 - 01/18/09 04:20 PM Re: strange question regarding prescription meds [Re: mymyheyhay]
Renee-md Offline
My husband hurt his back last year before we came to Belize and was on muscle relaxers and pain killers which he brought with him. No problem at all! As long as you have the prescription bottle with your name and info on it. We have never had anyone question meds as long as we have been coming to Belize or anywhere else in the Caribbean.

#319214 - 01/18/09 11:56 PM Re: strange question regarding prescription meds [Re: Renee-md]
JeanH Offline
You really shouldn't travel with your prescription meds in anythng but their original containers. If you should have your luggage searched a plastic bag with assorted pills in it is going to be a big red flag.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (tazh2o), 41 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,077 Topics
462,353 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.